Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Castle Amber - Chapel

It may just be my eyes SG but I think your drop shadows are in the wrong places. I get the impression that the floors are higher than the walls. It looks to me as if the floors are projecting shadows onto the walls, rather than vice versa. If you're hunting for parque textures, here's another one.

Torq
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Thanks for the texture Torq.

Yeah, I'm really struggling with the whole floor/wall thing. I'll have to double-check to make sure I didn't accidentally put a shadow on the floor.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

OK, I think I've got the Chapel pretty much wrapped up, I tweaked the shadows, etc. on the walls and switched the floor over to the texture Torq provided. Had to alter the orientation of the choir loft to fit it on the map.

I've made some progress on the Indoor Forest - still needs the actual forest but all of the othe parts are there.

I've uploaded 2 versions of each, with and without the grid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle Amber - Chapel - No Grid.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	4.21 MB 
ID:	6665   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle Amber - Indoor Forest No Grid.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	6666   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle Amber - Chapel.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	6667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle Amber - Indoor Forest.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	6668  

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I think its a big improvement SG. You seem to have sorted out the shadow issue. What about some shadow under the items resting on the floor to create more definition, particularly where its brown furniture on a brown floor.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Ummm are there lights outside each window at night? if not, the windows would not show onto the inside both from the north and south.

Other than that, my quick look shows it as quite nice.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

The chapel looks great, Steelgeneral. Nice job! I like the finishing, for example the walls seeming more 3D

The outdoor garden looks to me a bit unnatural right now, lots of stuff seems to be aligned the same way. Like those pits. It looks a bit weird, but I guess you wanted to align them to the grid?

@JFJr - Thanks... and you are absolutely correct, gonna have to double check the module for the light sources. I may just get rid of the reflection entirely.

@Gandwarf - Thanks...as I noted earlier I'm trying to stay as true to the module as possible. The pits do indeed align with the grid. But that is also why I posted a version with out it. I'm not really happy with the way the pits look, but it was all I had at the time.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks really nice SG. Being a stained glass artist my eyes went straight to those parts and other than the same window being used it looks pretty good. I know there are not too many options so that's all cool though. As far as the reflection on the floor, don't make it so accurate, blur it out a bunch...usually we just see color splotches.

As far as lighting goes there's 2 types of light I deal with...transmitted light (light that comes through) and reflected light (light that bounces off) and whichever light source is stronger will dominate (which is why stained glass doesn't look good from the outside the sun bounces off but on the inside the weaker lights there allow the sun's light to pass through). There are 3 types of glass we use opaque (no light passes through so we use that in mosaics), translucent or cathedral (all light passes through no matter the color), and opalescent (light glows more than bounces off or passes through so we use these most often in lamps and in Tiffany style windows). This last method wasn't even developed until the 19th century so we can throw that out and the first one is useless in windows so that leaves cathedral glass. In the northern hemisphere, windows that face the south get the strongest light and windows on the north get the weakest light. Now if this is a night time scene then it would all depend on moonlight and torches vs. interior lighting. If there are no torches on the outside then these lil reflections would be virtually unseen unless all of the torches were off and then the whole reflection would be more white-ish...exactly as you have here but more blurred out.

So now that the class is over (sorry for rambling) I like it alot.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Map Latest updates

@Ascension - Thanks for the info about the Stained Glass, I'll try to keep that in mind if I ever use these again.

OK, here are the latest updates for these;

Chapel (complete):
    1) Not being able to identify specific light-sources for this area I went ahead and deleted the reflection of the stain glass windows.
    2) Added shadows to pews and other items that were missing them

Indoor Forest (complete):
    1) Not entirely happy with the forests/tree cover. But I just don't have the patience to place each tree individually. I intentionally lowered the opacity on the trees so you can see where the pits and thorn barriers are located.

West Wing(WIP): - This is in its early stages tho a couple of the rooms are complete. The slightly transparent area in the main hallway is a crosswalk suspended above the floor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle Amber - Chapel - No Grid.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	6746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle Amber - Indoor Forest No Grid.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	3.29 MB 
ID:	6747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle Amber - West Wing.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	6748  

Congrats on the indoor garden, it looks very pretty. Now that the traps are more concealed by bushes and grass I no longer have any problem with them.

Hat's off to you!

The new area is already shaping up very nicely. One thing that stands out for me is the lower room in the top left corner - the wall isn't straight like the walls in all the other rooms. Is that intentional? I think it's a bit weird. But the room is still empty of course...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast