Thread: Maps made with Dungeon Designer 3 tutorial

Post Maps made with Dungeon Designer 3 tutorial

I am mapping a fantasy world and also plan to map some important buildings. For example the fortified keep/mansion in Verena. I made these maps a while ago with the tutorials on the Profantasy site. No prior DD3 experience.
    http://www.profantasy.com/community/user_tutorials.asp

First map is the basement, the second is the second floor and the third is ground level.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	verena_burcht_3.jpg 
Views:	1117 
Size:	237.8 KB 
ID:	6633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	verena_burcht_2.jpg 
Views:	2367 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	6634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	verena_burcht_1.jpg 
Views:	2067 
Size:	241.4 KB 
ID:	6635  

Errr... the title says Dungeons Designer 3, but it should be Dungeon Designer 3. I cannot edit the title myself I think?

Those are some great maps.

Because I tend to make most of my maps in DD3, I have a few hints/tips.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=896

Basically, I try and limit my Grids to the structure proper.

Additionally, I find that the default templates in DD3 do not apply any shadows for the symbols (tables, chairs, etc).

So, I normally put a drop shadow with an offset of around 1 and 1 or 2 and 2 for the X & Y offset.

BUT you need to be careful, the carpets and other things are also affected by the drop shadow, so you will need to move those to another sheet (like SYMBOLS, FLAT).

To make the Doors and stuff stand out a bit, move them to the SYMBOLS, WALL sheet and apply a slight glow.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks for your tips Neonknight.
    I am mapping mostly with City Designer 3 right now, but I am gonna revisit these DD3 maps and make new ones in the near future. I will make great use of your tips then!

No prob. I REALLY need to start playing CD3, and I was part of the Beta group towards the end

So much to do....so much to do....
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Been messing with Google Sketchup a bit and I must say I like the software. I might create a new map of the keep in Verena in 3D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Burcht Verena.png 
Views:	352 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	11843  
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Help

How are you making the walls for your plans? The normal wall tool (from the little bit I've played around with DD3) seems to just make the walls one standard thickness and nothing more, no matter what value you give to the width.

Unless I'm doing something wrong and the above is incorrect, it looks as though you're using corridors as walls? I'm probably way off, so if someone could kindly explain how you make those walls and the little wall extension pieces and have them blend into the existing walls, I'd be greatly appreciative! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
    How are you making the walls for your plans? The normal wall tool (from the little bit I've played around with DD3) seems to just make the walls one standard thickness and nothing more, no matter what value you give to the width.
    These maps were made quite some time ago and I haven't touched DD3 since then, so I can't explain really well how I created them. But I made them after watching the Dungeon Designer 3 tutorials:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekhz1CICTkM
    (that is the first part, there are three I think, they can also be found on the ProFantasy website).

So after watching those tutorials you should be able to do the same.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...