Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello fellow cartographers of this world

Blog Entries

I'll say it again... you lucky lucky chap !!! God I wish I (and family...) lived there instead of the UK hellhole which a long time ago used to be nice and much like NZ.

I have lost hours of my life to staring minutely at those photos. I have nearly all of them in my ViewingDale zoom browser and though its not super quick what with shifting about that much data its cool to pan over them and zoom in on houses and rocks and beaches and... and... etc

I think I have posted that link at least twice before but it really is a super interface to the most gorgeous areas. I always wondered if the ole LOTR filming shoot locations were on the detailed areas. You would then have some kind of localized images to use at those points too.

Theres another link of much more of the land but many of them in black and white only. Some of the latter years - like purple ones - are in color tho but they are not georefferenced. Not that it matters much to us. Hope they dont notice a big spike in their bandwidth of this site and do something about it...
    http://www.linz.govt.nz/topography/a...geo/index.aspx

One thing I should point out is that they have a liberal usage policy - not quite a free for all but you are able to use them with some very minor acknowledgment to them, less than even a creative commons requires. This is in stark contrast to our Ordnance Survey's use one pixel and we come after you with napalm type attitude which just goes to show the stark difference between our respective lands and why I think you are so lucky.

Ohh, ohh I can finally use that Mr Green emoticon...

Guild Apprentice

im sad i cant post a new thread in Regional/World mapping area, which iv been trying to do for last 2 days, i just get a "Internet explorer can not display this page" message whenever i click "Submit new topic" but i can easily post new replys to this and i wouldnt say we were that lucky, though i guess its all iv known, never been outside New Zealand, though, it is a very beautiful country, nice forests. Our beaches suck though.

Guild Apprentice

ok, well it finally posted sorry for double posting, im just kinda exited

Blog Entries

I haven't been to your place but some family and a few friends have. To be fair the better parts of the UK on a summers day without people is beautiful and the best place in the world but its never summer and its full of people. It takes a monumental effort to be alone in Britain. Population density of NZ = 15, USA = 31, UK = 246. Nuff said.

I have seen some photos of the beaches and many are rocky - is that why its bad ? The ones I saw were like that but very pretty all the same.

I use firefox and I have no issues with new posts though sometimes the site is a bit slow and can time out new posts. Dunno really.

I am drooling a bit too. The Linz site has something new on it. High res Darwin Glacier shots in a mosaic. I was looking for glacier photos and they are hard to come by. These are superb tho. Shows both lateral and longitudinal morrains and the ice breakup on steep slopes etc excellent. I will have to grab and process all of these into a big mosaic for my personal viewing pleasure.

Guild Apprentice

some are rocky, but i like rocks, the reason they arnt that good, is because:
    (a)highly poluted
    (b)most u cant see the bottom when its only .5 of a meter below the water

Blog Entries

That's very surprising. With that small a population I would not have thought it. I live on the mouth of a big estuary where the water is brown from silt all the time. Also most of the UK has foggy water but mainly from animal and plant life in it. The UK pumps a lot of unprocessed sewage out to sea in many areas and there are action groups opposed to it - mainly the surfers. But I wouldn't say it was polluted in a toxic chemical kind of sense. I'll have to look up about it and see how it compares.

Guild Apprentice

polution as in rubbish, plastic bags, cans, bottles etc. And view my thread about my first PS map here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3007

New Zealand is a great and very beautiful country, thats for sure. Pity they struggle so much with rugby, but you cant have it all I suppose . Glad to hear you are able to post now.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Guild Apprentice

rugby, rugby, rugby... I hate it, every one is so obsessed, just because our national team got out of the world cup, every one went into crisis

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mad_computer_user View Post
    rugby, rugby, rugby... I hate it, every one is so obsessed, just because our national team got out of the world cup, every one went into crisis
    Sounds like New England Patriots (American Football) fans here in the US after their quarterback was knocked out for the year.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast