Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP: Fallen Shore

ascanius - he stated at the beginning why the boats were locked into place. It had to do with the backstory. I initially thought the same thing.

Hi all, had to replace my tablet pen (my three year old thought it was super neat), got the new one today!

Thanks for the feedback so far all!

Almost done with the buildings, I am messing around with adding in some detail on a separate layer (should have that mocked up soon).

Next week its back to working on land and underwater features.

This project has been very fun and I have learned a ton about Photoshop in the process (having never used it before working on this map and The Hot Gate map, so about three months of total PS time so far), you might see weird irregularities in some elements on the map, these are reflective of my learning process, hopefully as I get better I will settle in on my core workflow for future projects.

Current update below: I know that the boats look like they are floating over the water, I will fix that =)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fallen Shore 040115.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	72323

For whatever reason I wanted to see what the map would look like at night, below is a proof of concept for that idea, this is what I have so far, any thoughts?

Name:	Fallen Shore Night 040115.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	72324

I am not super great at quoting others posts, but I did read them all and would like to comment on some:

- For the detail on the roofs comment: I am messing around with roof detail on a separate layer and will share what that looks like soon. I have looked at Max's map and I love his art style and well as J.Edwards and Larbs town maps that all have roof detail. I love how those artists used roof detail in their maps, however when I first was thinking of Fallen Shore, my focus was trying to develop my own digital art style while trying to teach myself Photoshop. I will say this, I have started a village that is on the same island as Fallen Shore, and it does have roof details and I think a cleaner look, hopefully I can post that soon to show.

- For the comments on tonal qualities as well as general appreciation of the work done so far: Thanks! I have always drawn and painted in a softer style and do tend to lean more towards neutral tones, I hope to continue to hone my skills and share with you all.

- As for the massive ship locked into the docks: Those ships are retired and the docks literally grew around them, or at least that was the design philosophy. I wanted to try and work out what that would even look like. Think of them like any major part of a city, a capitol building, a massive market place, an arena, and so on....I will have details on them when I put the Key together.

- As for the corner symbols: Fallen Shore was founded by pirates at first and has always been used as a black market that lies well outside of any established shipping/trade routes. Currently there are four pirate captains that hold major influence here, those are their symbols. Would you guys like a write up on lore/history, or is that not super useful here?

Anyways thank you all and as always feedback is good, for instance I sort of think my buildings look blobby, but that's just me.

~ Sharpie
    Last edited by Sharpsmile; 04-02-2015 at 01:36 AM.

I really like the night scene. That looks really good.

I agree - I love nighttime maps even if they are not always practical.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpsmile View Post
    As for the massive ship locked into the docks: Those ships are retired and the docks literally grew around them, or at least that was the design philosophy. I wanted to try and work out what that would even look like. Think of them like any major part of a city, a capitol building, a massive market place, an arena, and so on....I will have details on them when I put the Key together.
    That's cool, but they don't seem to be built to at all; they don't even touch the piers! For something the town's grown up around, I'd expect more-or-less permanent structures connecting them to the rest of the town.

Nice work on the lights in your night version!

That looks lovely! Someday I'm going to have to find out how on earth you guys make those lovely textures, heheh.

Looking forward to the next one.

Heya all,

Here is my most recent update, I finally had some time to just relax and work on this piece today =)

Working on some shading and color for the land/forests

As always comments are welcome =) have a great weekend all!

Name:	Fallen Shore 043015.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	73074

Oh and the night map is almost done, I will get that updated tomorrow.

~ Sharpie

Those trees are really nice.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Those trees are really nice.
    I second that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast