Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Digsite 51

Worked on some light....There are still some errors but I think the mood is set. I would like to have some feedback on that. Sometimes blindness sets in

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	troublelight.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	72737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewLighting.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	461.5 KB 
ID:	72738
    Last edited by Troedel; 04-15-2015 at 05:50 AM.

Thank you for the encouragement, I think I will wait with the next post until I´ve got done a bit more to show. But this one will fly

Wow this is great. I was curious as to your thoughts on the perspective issue in terms of a top down map, as generally maps have no perspective at all. In this map it's not bad as the walls only slightly obscure some secondary rooms, but what if you were doing a longer dungeon where it become noticeable? Just keep pulling the camera out farther? I was also thinking of the possibility of angling each room towards the camera like a little open building orbiting the camera, although that would create its own host of problems... Or shooting each room individually and stitching them together. Perhaps the better question I should start out with, is what is your goal by making a 3D model instead of some other method?

Wonderful 3d work.
    From an artistic view, the very dark shadows look good really setting the mood, from a gaming point of view the shadows are to dark and obscure large parts of the map that should be at least partially visible. Just depends which is more important to you.

#Falconius Why a 3D modell? I think it is a style that is very immersive a gives a pretty good feel of the area and the mood. And I like the looks. The best maps around for VTT´s of this kind are from Lord ZseZes´s but I´m very convinced that a seasoned game level designer would put us all in a state of wonder . Downside is the workload to make it right. Building up a prop library would speed things up and it would become a matter of drag and drop for maps of similar style. I did not think about larger dungeons but it could be handled by camera settings. Or you could just set it to ortographic for a real topdown. But you would loose the sense of depth.

#Bogie I think in the end the lights are very difficult. Everything has to be visible without destroying the mood and keeping the lighting a little bit plausible. I will tackle that one step by step.

Right now I´m fooling around with Modo indie version from Steam with 901 at the doorstep. Perhaps one day I will switch from Blender. At first i cursed Modo because it´s completly different but after watching many tutorials I begin to understand why people love it for being a very good modelling aplication beides many other things. The package seems to be a bit more streamlined and unified than blender. But I miss modifiers.

Keep mapping!

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Troedel View Post
    I´m very convinced that a seasoned game level designer would put us all in a state of wonder . Downside is the workload to make it right. !
    I fully agree with that. I have watched once a Professional level designer at work. He had in front of him a rough handdrawn sketch and used simultaneously Mudbox + World Machine + some other 3D software I forgot.
    In a half a day he had a 3D map of something like 200 km x 200 km done in a perfectly realistic style, fully rendered with a moving sun, shadows, lights, reflections on water and everything.
    Of course his libraries where he was picking things all the time were giant.
    It looked easy and it was then that I decided to never attempt this kind of style because if I could do it in a comparable quality as this guy did, I would be a Professional level designer and not an occasional map artist

This is an old one but still waiting for completion. On this journey I learned much about technical aspects for transition between differnt software suits and the integration and management of assets into UE4. It was a fun ride with a LOT of sidetracks but totaly worth it. I´m looking foreward to my next project to test out new and improved workflows. I´ll see how RL allows that

I hope you like it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Digsite-51_0.9.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	904.6 KB 
ID:	76651
    CC BY-NC-SA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123