Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Map of Serth

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MountZionRyan View Post
    It almost looks "stretched" left-right. I think this is because all the long lines are horizontal.

Some suggestions
    -Turn the peninsula in the upper left corner 90 deg. so that it has a vertical orientation
    -Do the same with some of the islands.
    -Or, scale the whole thing down so that it is narrower.

Or do what your creative inner eye tells you to do and ignore this stranger. ;-)
    Iv edited the map, spun 2 islands round, and the peice of land, nice quick job thought it would be harder than it was

Quote Originally Posted by Jkaen View Post
    The only thing that strikes me as a bit odd is that really long canal to the east of the mainland, I can't think of what sort of plate movement would have formed that.
    Played The Elder Scrolls, or looked at its map? heres the map:
    http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...TamrielMap.jpg
    i got the idea from there

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    I agree with the pixelation issue... smooth it out, but I'd suggest also finding points to blur it a little, have it fade into the parchment. On something with ancient (and great) looking parchment like this, the writing on the parchment would be very weathered-looking as well. Probably some bleeding of the ink, if you can manage it, as well.
    I have blured some parts, made it fade(heaps in some areas) and im working on a technique to create bleeding ink, but im not sure how to smooth/get rid of pixelation, any ideas?

Guild Apprentice

oops, forgot to post image of the map, here it is:

Google-fu............HeeeeeeeeeeeeYAH!

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en...h+Images&gbv=2

There are literally hundreds of excelent images and styles of antique maps there for perusal.

If you are going for that ancient/antique view those would give you a good start.

The next set of images (except for the clothing ) are some examples of some ancient nautical charts.

http://images.google.ca/images?gbv=2...=Search+Images

and

http://images.google.ca/images?gbv=2...=Search+Images

One of my personal favs is this one:

http://www.fomar.org/235E.jpg
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by mad_computer_user View Post
    i enlarged it, about 300% from its origanal to put it onto parchment
    Never do that. If that's a hand-drawing you started with, just scan it at higher resolution, so you don't have to enlarge to fit the parchment. You can always reduce from a high resolution down to a lesser one. You'll only get problems doing it the other way around.

Otherwise, I see a nice start and no ones given you any "Rep" yet, so I did.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Apprentice

YAY rep thanks man. and its not hand drawn, i made it in photoshop, but made it to small, i wanted a larger map, so i just enlarged it. I think i still have the ORIGANAL psd file, which if i enlarge, wont matter... though, ill need to then redo the:
    blur
    fading
    rotating of land

but that will only take about 20 mins, ill do that.

EDIT: BLURGH!!! i dont have the file any more not fair... hmm, what shall i do? i could redraw, but i like it the way it is, what do you people think?
    Last edited by mad_computer_user; 09-26-2008 at 10:05 PM.

I think you want to be careful about the blurring of the lines in random areas. The reason I say this is now you have established areas that need to be aged as you set about each task on the map.

I like the parchment background, but I would make my map as close to what it would have looked like "new" and then age the entire map.

You are correct, "Line variation" is basically the width of line. To get a consistent feel to it, select a slightly oval brush in PS to do your line work.

I am interested in seeing where this goes
    Something witty and pithy

Guild Apprentice

good point BLURG im doing it all wrong i should probably just, start again, step one, and not do any blurring etc. Then just once its done, add bluring/aging etc

Quote Originally Posted by mad_computer_user View Post
    good point BLURG im doing it all wrong i should probably just, start again, step one, and not do any blurring etc. Then just once its done, add bluring/aging etc
    Nope, not doing it "wrong." That is being rather hard on oneself for their first PS map. Are you very familiar with PS? Do you do tons of other work with the raster beast and have just now decided to try out a map? I shudder to remember the number of times I had to start over in PS for the first graphic I did on it.

Unfortunately, with PS, I have found the best way to learn is to screw up and start again.

Guild Apprentice

Are you very familiar with PS? Do you do tons of other work with the raster beast and have just now decided to try out a map?
    thats me, apart from the tonnes part, i do do a fair amount of stuff though

i could just start again but that would be so PAINFULL

Well... if you are familiar with it... I would suggest only erasing the line areas that need to be re-worked, create a new layer and have a merry old time of it. I only see seven areas that needed re-touched. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy. If you have already merge down onto the parchment, just copy and past the parchment image into a new background layer and threshold select the blacks to be painted on a new layer.

anytime you are doing mapping in Illustrator or PS (most likely with GIMP or Inkscape as well) layers are your best friends, while my maps are still WiP's I can easily have 20 to 30 layers going on. I always copy layers and preserve an un-touched version until I get the effect I want. I also end up having multiple versions of files. Typically I save with a new file name at critical moments. Only when I am "done" do I delete and merge all the redundant crap. Saves a bunch of heartache in the end. These days I rarely have to re-start from scratch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast