Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Map of Serth

Guild Apprentice

everything is on layers, and i have saved different files(thank fully) ill go through and retouch up some areas, or, this map i could just do small, i do have a file of it small

Guild Apprentice

ok, well, i have just decided that the map will have to be small, i have plotted everything now, except for places, but all the rivers, and mountains, and forests, and swamps are there. Plus i added the measure and the compass, next i shall make all the colour plots actual images, then add towns, then labels, then age it, and its done, YAY. Heres the map:
    Last edited by mad_computer_user; 09-28-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Guild Apprentice

here we go, i have now added in the symbols, all i need to do now, is add places and labels, and age it. image:

keep them coming
    Something witty and pithy

Guild Apprentice

thats a bit hard... now that i FINISHED THE MAP! ok, maybe the exitment level is a bit high, but it is my first PS map, so it may be allowed, lol. Anyway, enough of my rambling, im kinda still in bloging mode(the link goes to my cartography blog) so im rambling alot. heres the map:

please post your thoughts and constructive critiscism on the map and what i can change/fix

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

looking good for a first PS map better than any of my first time PS maps could have been...

Guild Apprentice

thanks, its really appreciated

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

It does look pretty good. You did a great job of cleaning up the pixelated lines. And the ink-bleed is pretty good effect.

Points of mild criticism: I think the blurring is a bit much (I know, I also suggested you do some blurring!)... I'd try a narrower range on the blur, and supplement it with a few extra very narrow range ink-bleeds. In other words... have the blur and ink-bleed only go out a handful of pixels.

Also, a hand-drawn style map would probably have more variety in the types of symbols used for mountains and trees. This can usually be accomplished in some easy way, both in PS and GIMP, but I'm not positive on the method used for PS. Basically, there's some way of using a brush that alternates between several different tree symbols, for instance, to provide variety to a forest or several mountain symbols to provide variety to a mountain range. If you have enough symbols (I'm thinking about 5-ish, but this is only a gut instict), it truly amps-up the hand-drawn look.

Anyway, great job!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    It does look pretty good. You did a great job of cleaning up the pixelated lines. And the ink-bleed is pretty good effect.

Points of mild criticism: I think the blurring is a bit much (I know, I also suggested you do some blurring!)... I'd try a narrower range on the blur, and supplement it with a few extra very narrow range ink-bleeds. In other words... have the blur and ink-bleed only go out a handful of pixels.

Also, a hand-drawn style map would probably have more variety in the types of symbols used for mountains and trees. This can usually be accomplished in some easy way, both in PS and GIMP, but I'm not positive on the method used for PS. Basically, there's some way of using a brush that alternates between several different tree symbols, for instance, to provide variety to a forest or several mountain symbols to provide variety to a mountain range. If you have enough symbols (I'm thinking about 5-ish, but this is only a gut instict), it truly amps-up the hand-drawn look.

Anyway, great job!
    Unlike Gimp, PS doesn't have a way to actually alternate through several brushes, one of the GIMP features I really wish that PS had. But you can get an effect similiar, it just uses the same brush.

Since those are ISO forests and Mountains, you mainly just have to keep loading brushes over and over.... the easiest way to do this is when (for example) you do your forest, load only the brushes you want to use for it, 4 or 5 should do. In brush tip shape, set your spacing out so that your symbols spread next to each other but not overlap. In Shape Dynamics set your Size jitter to about 65% (set it to pen pressure if you have a stylus. If not, just leave it off) Set the minimum up to where you feel the smallest you want the trees (around 25% should do). Now, LOCK the lock next to Shape dynamics. These settings will keep as you rotate thru brushes. You can play around with the scatter as well, but it isn't necessary, if you do, make sure you lock it too.

Now, go to the map and start brushing in your trees, as you go you can easily switch brushes by using the last brush hot key "," and next brush "."

If you don't want them to bunch up together and you prefer to 'place' symbols like in CC3, just set your dynamics to Fade with a value of 1, and set your minimum diamater to 0% ... They will jitter through the sizes still as you tap your brush down.

Hope that helps

Guild Apprentice

i have actually worked out how to use multiple brushes in PhotoShop, its quite simple, i can make a tutorial for it if you want... and i tried making the mountains and forests slightly varied by using the size and roundness jitter settings already, maybe its not enough though...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast