Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Map of Serth

This is great! Now the next step is to try your hand (using the same techniques and perhaps a couple more) at a more intricate map.

Think you're up to it?

I think you are!

Ravs

Blog Entries

Hi Mad,

I wrote a big tutorial about resampling and why its a good idea to do maps big and resample down to final size. I also wrote it leaving a space for a topic that comes up time and time again but I never had time to fill it in so I just did as its about how to resample images that are just B&W up - say by 300% or so

What you need to do if you have lost the original is to separate the dark from the paper which is not so hard to do with some judicious use of brightness and contrast and that should leave you with black on white line art.

See #13 of this thread...
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2596

for what to do to get that 300% bigger with no jaggies. But the better way is to resample down from a big original.

Hope that helps.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    This is great! Now the next step is to try your hand (using the same techniques and perhaps a couple more) at a more intricate map.

Think you're up to it?

I think you are!

Ravs
    i dont think im really up to it, but its good to hear others do so im going to try. In fact, im going to try redo this map, and make it bigger(alot) and better(hopefully).

thanks redrobes for that

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mad_computer_user View Post
    i have actually worked out how to use multiple brushes in PhotoShop, its quite simple, i can make a tutorial for it if you want... and i tried making the mountains and forests slightly varied by using the size and roundness jitter settings already, maybe its not enough though...
    Sorry.. didn't mean to give ya a tutorial on how to use a brush. Sometimes its hard to get out of STEP>BY>STEP mode....

You could always sketch a forest (or mountains) out and create a seamless pattern, then use your masks to brush them into/out of the areas you need. Even using a couple on different layers, this can work to great effect on parchment maps....

Guild Apprentice

no problem about the step by step tut thing, i wasnt trying to give you a hard time or anything, i actually appreciated your small tut, i didnt know about the lock feature, i always was having to reset it, which got annoying, i was just saying what i knew. I did do a tut on making those patterns for both mountains and forests and any other symbol that needs to be like that, it was on YouTube, i would do that, except i have NO artistic ability whatsoever which is sad

Guild Apprentice

I have decided to remake this map, alot bigger, and, hopefully, alot better, this time i have made my own custom parchment, and redrawn the outline, thats what iv done sofar on it, ill post a new thread soon for it

EDIT: here is the version 2 thread link
    Last edited by mad_computer_user; 09-29-2008 at 09:06 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234