Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: March 2015 Entry - Karsthaven

Banned User

Default March 2015 Entry - Karsthaven

I've decided to get in on the action, too. Seems like fun and a good chance to do something underground for a change

There is a formation common in limestone called a "dome-pit". It forms from water seeping in through a hole at the surface and dissolving away the limestone into a very deep vertical column. The name comes because if you are at the bottom looking up, it's a big dome, and if you are at the top looking down, it's a big pit. Dome-pits frequently have old stream passages that run through the limestone and end falling into the pit, so there are often several cave passages that intersect the dome-pit at varying levels.

These shafts can be too small to enter up to hundreds of feet in diameter. Here are some pictures of real dome-pits:
    http://i.ytimg.com/vi/VFLDvzc5P2k/hqdefault.jpg
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3659/...7946e8235e.jpg
    http://www.circleofblue.org/waternew...Earth-1000.jpg
    http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2008/5023/s...s/image022.gif

My One Page Dungeon is set in a limestone dome-pit in which the side caves have been converted to various uses, including a long-lost temple complex called "Karsthaven, The Hidden Temple of Vrena".

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OPD2015A.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	71883

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Glad to have you in it too chick.
    Thanks J.Edward! In fact, it seems like I am usually the first to post in a challenge, so thanks for saving me from that fate

[Attempts noble bow, knee gives out, falls over, gets up and brushes dust from his pants....]
    My pleasure.

Sounds like a solid idea. And nice to see another person has entered the contest. Look forward to seeing what you do with this.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Banned User

I've started writing some of the text and I'd appreciate an opinion from those who have entered this competition before .... is this text big enough (font, spacing, content)?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	OPD2015B.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	71893

hey chick, couldn't you verify that by printing it out on standard size paper and seeing if you could read it?
    It seems like that should be a good way to test it.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    hey chick, couldn't you verify that by printing it out on standard size paper and seeing if you could read it?
    It seems like that should be a good way to test it.
    Sure, is that what the judges go by? I assumed they were going to read it onscreen and in that case, resolution is every bit as important as font size. Thanks for the idea.

Banned User

Here are today's additions. I have tentatively blocked out the space I'll need for each room description, and it's gonna be tight.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	OPD2015C.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	71917

I'm not much of a gamer, but this is shaping up to be very cool! It's deliciously creepy in places.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast