Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mar/Apr 2015 Lite Challenge: Bjorah's Cliff

Default Mar/Apr 2015 Lite Challenge: Bjorah's Cliff

I'm a little hesitant to post this now because I really don't know where I'm going with it.. but what the hell. I've had the village of Bjorah's Cliff in my head for quite a while... have even run a game or two there, but it's never been mapped. This seems like a good time to get it on paper.

I'm trying to go for more of a hand drawn look on this one. I'm not really used to the style, so we'll see how it goes. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

-IG

### Latest Wip ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bjorah's Cliff_small.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	71936

The colouring so far looks excellent. It's very difficult to tell with so little information but if that squiggly line is a coast on the bottom edge it doesn't seem to feel like a comfortable visual scale for me when compared to the cliffs. (ie it looks like the shore, if it is a shore, is small scale and the cliffs are a much more detailed large scale.

The cliffs look fantastic and I'm keen to see where you go with it. I totally understand being a bit nervous about putting your stuff out there when you haven't finalised your ideas yet. I felt the same when I started my village, and may yet redo everything!

Hope you'll post lots of WIPs as you go along. I'm totally envious of your drawing skills LOL!

I also like your cliffs a lot.

Thank you. The squiggly bit on the bottom is more cliffs, with a small river running through the valley between. That section is will be more of a direct top-down view than the other. I've been working on the forests, but am having a hard time nailing down a style I'm completely satisfied with. After today I'm off work for the weekend, so I might have a little more time to work on it. I do appreciate the kind words.

-IG

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

On a whim I turned the opacity down on the color layers and was surprised I liked it. What do you think?

I still need to blend the stream into the ground somehow; I don't like how it's just sitting there on top of it like that. I'll also dirty up the ground a little. Then to decide how I want to incorporate the wordy bits.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bjorah's cliff.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	72143 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bjorah's Cliff_small_2.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	72144

Hi industrygothica. I love cliffy settings and am curious how this'll progress. The trees look very good (like chick pea, i'm a bit envious of your drawing skills )! I'd personally go with an opacity in between the two examples. Regarding the blending of the river, maybe cliffy banks are a solution, and they'll fit in very well there too. Is this the river's spring right there in the bottom? I think it gets broad pretty fast like that. Where do you plan, placing the village?
    Keep up the good work! Although i see my own chances in the challenge shrinking...

I like the first pic you posted with the desaturated colours, but that's always my preference! The forests are looking good. I'm also curious where you're going to put the village.

As for my own chances in the challenge, LOL! I've no expectations personally. I'm entering for the fun, and I'm happy to see great work from my 'rivals'.

I agree, the first one is very nice! Good job.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast