Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mar/Apr 2015 Lite Challenge: Bjorah's Cliff

Yes, I prefer the first one too. You could maybe add some things on the edge of the river bank to "tether it down" a bit more so to speak. I usually do it with rocks and flora and such.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Thank you again for the comments. Hopefully this next WIP will answer some questions. I've added some building and hinted at some roads. Seems like they'd be more trails than roads in this wilderness setting though. I put some fencing along the cliffs to avoid any nasty accidents that might take place from mucking about too close to the edge. Hopefully that makes sense.

I still haven't decided on the labeling, but I did what I did there so you could see where I'm going with it... and inspire me with ideas if you're so inclined. I'm still avoiding the river, though I really like both ideas presented here. Thanks again for that.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bjorah's cliff2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	3.83 MB 
ID:	72187

I think the settlement needs to use the river in some way - even if just via underground wells or what have you. Water is life as they say and it seems odd a settlement would plop itself near a water source but not use it. I feel that tying the settlement to the rivers would help the story of it as they seem a bit temperated at present.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I think the settlement needs to use the river in some way - even if just via underground wells or what have you. Water is life as they say and it seems odd a settlement would plop itself near a water source but not use it. I feel that tying the settlement to the rivers would help the story of it as they seem a bit temperated at present.
    I completely agree, and I suppose that's one of the reasons I've been avoiding it thus far. I think maybe I'll see what happens when I try do draw a well tomorrow. A couple of those couldn't hurt.

-IG

Perhaps a small stream coming out of the woods, running through the middle of the village then forming a small waterfall over the cliffs and down to the larger river below. It gives the village a water source and ties the whole thing together visually.

I love the forest and one could think to see every single tree. Gotta try that soon in one of my maps. On the other hand the river looks, hmmm, like the tail of a boa constrictor I'm sure you can still change that. Good luck!
    I swear I couldn't see your latest WIP when writing above comment but obviously you addressed the river though I concur with Bogie that a creek cascading over the cliffs would add a lot of interest and maybe also a brook coming from the right part of the valley?
    Reason for the existence of this village could be mills or fishing in big nets/creels across the river?
    Anyway, I'm sure you're getting there.
    Last edited by MstrWelf; 03-30-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Looks great! Although I have to agree, I'd expect a settlement that size to certainly have some constructions down there and very likely a way down the cliff. Unless it is far rougher than it appears. Even then though, they'd fish it.

Finally battled it out with the river. Of course I'll have to redo the buildings now, but I'm thinking that needed to be done anyway.

A little about the village itself, since it's time to start thinking about that. Bjorah's Cliff is a mostly human settlement well known for their exquisite leather crafts. From saddles to armor to scabbards to shoes, their leather goods are highly valued. (From an in-game perspective, Bjoran leather and hide armor would likely offer some type of masterwork bonus). The forests surrounding the village are thick teeming with wildlife, and thanks to the efforts of the local huntsmen and the mysterious Galyn Greatclaw, the wildlife is protected from poachers and unauthorized hunting.

Bjoran's do not believe in waste, and tend to use as much of an animal as possible. When the skinners and the butchers have taken their turns, bonecarvers create knifes, arrowheads, and ornamental trinkets. What can't be carved is ground into meal for fertilizer

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bjorah's cliff3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	72306

A well fought battle IG! The waterfall and the enlarged river look great together.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    A well fought battle IG! The waterfall and the enlarged river look great together.
    Thank you! Hopefully I can manage to get this one finished in time for the voting. It's taking a lot longer than I anticipated.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast