Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Tapered Rivers in GIMP

Silly question.

I'd drawn my river with a 1 point pencil, did an alpha-to-selection on a "Rivers" layer, saved that selection to a path.

The script goes up one side of the selection and down the other - negating any taper.

Update - when I woke up, I finally thought to zoom in on the path, and sure enough, the path is the selection as promised It goes around my 1px line.

Update 2 - the power of Google compels me to report that Ctrl-Shift click on a path node or segment deletes said target. Somewhat tedious, but I reduced my path to a line rather than an enclosed shape, and now it works as expected.

FWIW I was doing it this way because I didn't feel like I was getting the right sort of squiggly lines for the rivers doing a path with the path tool - too much clicky to make enough nodes that I could squiggle it out.

Thanks!

Koewn
    Last edited by koewn; 02-07-2010 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Finally googled editing paths.

There a couple things to help.. I have a fractalize path script. There is also a smooth path script that takes a straightline path and connects the nodes with smooth lines. After that, the tapered stoke works quite well.

-Rob A>

Wahh
    This "Draw a path using the pen tool" takes me 2 hours to understand... args
    Thanks for the Script its really great if one can read
    big thanks for this!!!

#yosh

Super super dumb question but I'm pretty new to all this. where do you save the script to?

Quote Originally Posted by BBHoap View Post
    Super super dumb question but I'm pretty new to all this. where do you save the script to?
    Depends on the OS and gimp version. If XP and gimp 2.6.something, save it (keeping the .scm extension) in "\Documents and Settings\<user-name>\.gimp-2.6\scripts\"

-Rob A>

Hi RobA!

can you tell me how you use this script? I've create 44 paths in my map because for me this seems to be the only solution for my problem
    I try to have realistic looking rivers so I create for a river look like a Y with 3 paths. 1 path for every line.
    Then I use the script and the "upper rivers" grow f.e. from 1px to 3px. The "vertical river" starts with 6 or 7 px and end up with 10px.

Hopefully you know what I mean

#yosh

I have always used one path fir the main river then added branches.

So instead of 3 paths making a Y, I have one main path and a second branch path.

If that makes sense.

-Rob A>

Thanks !

If I ever finish my map, I post it, promised

#yosh

I'm actually looking for the same technique in Inkscape. I do it totally different, here's how:

Create the path for the river, then set up the Paintbrush tool to use a fuzzy circle brush, turn on "Fade out", and stroke the path with the Paintbrush tool. All I need to do is to play with the Fade out value, and then remove the fuzziness by playing with the Value curve in Color > Curves.

Anyways, the script is great

Quote Originally Posted by Nauryl View Post
    I'm actually looking for the same technique in Inkscape. I do it totally different, here's how:

Create the path for the river, then set up the Paintbrush tool to use a fuzzy circle brush, turn on "Fade out", and stroke the path with the Paintbrush tool. All I need to do is to play with the Fade out value, and then remove the fuzziness by playing with the Value curve in Color > Curves.

Anyways, the script is great
    Clever idea with a fuzzy brush/fadeout and curves.

In Inkscape I sued to use: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...g-River-How-To

but it is simpler now with path effects.

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast