Thread: New and feeling overwhelmed!

Default New and feeling overwhelmed!

I seen a map on DA (was really only browsing for trees, smh). I was astonished at the details of the map! I never knew this type of thing existed as a hobby. I'm a huge RPG gamer (Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy, etc) and used to play D&D when I was a kid. I recent moved to the space genre of art, making nebulae and planets. I was drawn to this because I would love to use this type of art in collaboration with creating planets with unique terrains. It's hard to even know where to start. I'm self taught in PS and I currently use CC 2014. It may seem like a dumb question but how do I begin? What's the simplest way to get my feet wet without feeling overwhelmed?

First of all: welcome the Guild!

Best place to start would be the tutorial section, which is full of anything from drawing tips to full-scale mapping style tutorials.

Then start mapping, ask for comments, hints, ideas, advice... the folks here are always happy to see new maps and help out.

Banned User

Hello ChimeraArtz, welcome to the Guild!

Just jump in and make a map It doesn't have to be great, it doesn't have to impress anyone, but post it and get critique, and then do more There are a lot of tutorials, but you might start with the Sticky one at the top called, "Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping", http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

I'll look forward to seeing your first map post

Thank you guys. I gotta say I may feel a bit sheepish asking for help. DA has kinda scarred me lol. People will accuse you of trying to steal their style if you ask for help or cuss you out smh. Glad I won't have to worry about that here

Chimera - I'm on DA and I think I can say that the people here are not like the people on DA.
    There are a lot of people I like over on DA but the whole dynamic is different here.
    Those who might worry about you stealing a style here just wouldn't help you, but most will.

Banned User

Since I've been here, I have only found one person who worried that I might be stealing his map Everyone else has been incredibly helpful and willing to share whatever they can.

Personally, I left DA years ago over the rude unpleasant people I found there, not related to plagiarism, just unpleasant in too many ways. This site is so very different!

I'd say ask for help whenever you find something you think has an answer that you just don't know. I'll bet many will try to help you They certainly did (and continue to) for me