Thread: how to make houses in photoshop

Default how to make houses in photoshop

I have searched for tutorials but haven't found what I am looking for. I want to make some top view houses for strategic maps. I have found some things from Dundjinni and a lot of things that Bogie made, but I would like to create as many of my own assets as I can. I just cannot seem to get the angle right on the roof to make them look sloped. thanks for any links to tuts.

Could you post an example of the end result you're looking for and your best effort so far so that, short of someone knowing a tutorial link for what you want, people could offer suggestions? I probably can't offer you much but, have you tried using Google maps/earth as a reference? Also, I would think that a top-down-view slope of a roof might be better rendered with shadow than line angle, but I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish so I'm likely wrong. Hopefully someone else can give better advice.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Banned User

Find some maps with houses of the style you want, open with photoshop and make the layer 20% opacity. Then on a new layer, try tracing them. That will give you the right angles to make them look as you want.

Then erase the map layer and try drawing them without looking at the example. A bit of this and you will get the technique quickly.

Thank you, chick. I was totally over-thinking that.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Thank you, chick. I was totally over-thinking that.
    Hahahaha. That's because you're so good at it. When you suck like me, you have to use desperate measures

thanks guys. What I did was use the pen tool and trace the shape. It doesn't look perfect but close enough for a quick look.

These are kind of what I am looking for. Right now all I am able to do is take their shape and put my own texture fills. But I would like to be able to sculpt a more 3d looking shape in photoshop. I just cannot seem to get my perspective right nor the depth.

I took a break from photoshop for about 5 years and I forgot everything that I knew pretty much. 6 years ago someone deleted my entire 1tb harddrive of 15 years of work, so I kind of lost interest for a while, but trying to get back to things.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city test low res.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	508.2 KB 
ID:	72109

Here is the city map that I am making. I would prefer to have my own house design. I don't mind using other people's assets for minor details like bushes, flowers and such but for textures, and major structures, I prefer to have original.

Thanks again, you are very helpful here.
    Last edited by zeichen; 03-27-2015 at 12:54 PM.