Thread: First Post

Default Pencil D&D Encounter Sketches

Hello all.
    I have been lurking for a little while, soaking up some info and taking in some nice maps and thought it was only fair to contribute.

Whilst I am interested in maps in general, I have been on this site looking for specific tips on how to map in-game during D&D sessions.

So, I mostly make 'Dungeon' and indoor complexes of some kind.

The maps I post below are from a recent game, and so the design of the maps are not originally mine, but something my 'character' drew up free hand from what the DM was describing to me. Because these are in-game and free-hand they are not nearly so pretty as Photoshop/Gimp effort. obvs.

I post them mainly because I have seen some comments from users who like the odd pencil sketch and role-playing angle. It's a bit of fun, really.

There are three files, one of a basement complex to a mountain fortress, then two others of a tunnel network that spread out from the fort's basement.

The eagle eyed will note that I have already taken certain style tips from some common posters on here, so, my thanks go to the community already!

I intend to post new maps as I make them, they will all be from gaming, so will be broadly the same as below, but hopefully over time they will be come progressively polished and intelligible!

Thanks,
    TT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1574.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	72064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1575.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	72063   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1576.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	72062  
    Last edited by Twinkletash; 07-03-2015 at 04:42 PM.

Banned User

Hello Twinkletash, welcome to the Guild!

These are really pretty nice for having sketched them on the fly during an adventure. I'll certainly look forward to what you can do when you have time to really design and work on one

Have some rep for a nice first map post!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mateus090985's Avatar

Welcome aboard Twinkletash. The maps that you posted above looks incredible!

Some updated maps from the last few months of play.

First a small sewers complex from the Capital City that had been overrun by a Wererat-cum-thieves guild:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zaretor City Sewers.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	74348

And then a small 'edge of the empire' Abbey that is in the process of being overrun by necromantic cultists:
    (I have started to sketch the frontal view of the buildings as well as the floor plan, which I think is moderately successful)

Name:	Osstown Abbey Ground Floor.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	74349
    (Annoyingly I didn't start sketching the ground floor from the right part of my page, so the top of the map is disconnected and 'cont' at the bottom of the page... ah well, that's what happens when you are sketching live.)

Name:	Osstown Abbey Basement.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	74350
    (At time of writing, the group's burly Dwarf fighter has been downed and the rest of the part severely weakened by lightening bolt thrown by an evil Necromancer. There's a distinct chance of death mounting down here.)
    Last edited by Twinkletash; 06-25-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Guild Novice

Those are insanely good for being done live. I particularly like the hatching and pebbles to better define the non-usable space around the tunnels and such. Was that a tip that you got here on the board? Also I'm stealing the idea to use runes to label rooms so that the map looks more fantasy. Great idea!

Cheers for the good vibes.
    I have based my basic style directly from the mighty Dyson: https://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/...utorials-help/

I'm dead chuffed that you picked up on the runes! Not even the guys I game with have commented on those yet.
    The character I play is a Bard, built in the vein of a knowledgeable scholar, so I semi-roleplay the maps he makes too: He speaks both Elvish and Dwarf so Underground maps get Dwarf runes and Outdoor Wilderness ones get Elvish runes!

All ads a little flavour.

Hi again.
    A couple more game-weeks played and the Dwarf evaded death as his friendly neighbourhood Bard snared all the bad guys in a Web spell for long enough for the others to fill them with arrows.

Here's the completed Osstown Abbey complex:

Name:	Ossttown Abbey Complete.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	74549

After freeing the Head Monk of the abbey, the party is off to a nearby Island Fortress that has been overrun by pirates. Our way in was via some sea caves during low tide:

Name:	Giant's Tear Basement.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	74548