Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Tutorial & Guide for Hand Drawn Maps (Pen & Ink w/ Photoshop)

Hey, out of curiosity, have you ever considered writing a book about this? If you wrote it in a similar way that you do your tutorials, I'm positive that there would be a sizable market; for example, when I tell people that I make maps, they're impression is "Hey, that's cool, I'd like to do that!"

Check out Lulu sometime, if you're interested. It's a very nice self publishing company.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You know that I loves me some old school pen and ink and these practice sessions are awesome...I haven't done them in years. Thanks man! And that book isn't a half bad idea...look at all the junk on the shelves at the bookstore about how to draw Anime. But maybe there'd have to be some other stuff in there as well in order to "bulk" it up and charge 50 bucks.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow I gotta say this tutorial was awesome. You know your techniques are good for digital too if you have the right stuff. I just got CC3 thanks to my Dad and a writing tablet (wow what more could a kid ask for right). I'm gonna get started on doing some of those tutorials and seeing what I can come up with and finally post a map on here. Been far too long.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Tutorial Tutorial on Forests pt 2

Part 2.
    Coniferous and Jungle forest.
    Wasn't really happy about this ... episode I guess you would call it. Both sets of jungle aren't my strongest suite's.

Here I show the lighter shading of the simple drawing we did before.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	junconfirst.jpg 
Views:	1295 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	6890

Here's a note on mixing your conifer and deciduous (which I spelled wrong, unfortunately photoshop doesn't have a word check )
    Start with your conifer trees first, just draw your triangular tops, and scatter them throughout the area you plan to forest. Then go in and outline with your other forest and fill it in. It should look a bit more natural this way.

Name:	mixing.jpg 
Views:	1422 
Size:	520.6 KB 
ID:	6891

Unless anyone want's specific terrains... I believe we'll go for rivers and coastlines next.

I never really use the conifer type of tree in my maps, mainly because I'm not too great with them. But I tried my best, I think the thing with them is not shading them too much, and most mountain pines have long trunks before any of their branches start. Keep them roughly triangular and flatten out the bottoms... conifers lowest branches often branch straight out, well, actually most of their branches do.

Name:	conifer.jpg 
Views:	3153 
Size:	752.0 KB 
ID:	6892

Drawing pines and cedars from a top-down standpoint isn't something I would suggest unless you develop a technique for showing them that is simpler and still conveys the idea that you are looking at coniferous trees. I've done up a couple of the kinds I draw, as well as one where you might show lonely pines on hills...
    To do the top-down pine in the middle of the picture, you first start wout with radial lines from a center point. 5 or 6 should do. Ink all one side of the branches first, turning the paper as necessary, and then go back and do the otherside, tapering the 'needles' outward as you end the branch. If it looks a little like Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree, go in and a few more branches. Don't start these from the middle, but from where the lines stop from the surrounding branches. Inking from the same spot will tear your paper and/or create something akin to a black hole rather than a tree.

Name:	conifer2.jpg 
Views:	2261 
Size:	806.4 KB 
ID:	6893

With jungles you basically want some jagged looking leaves. Below I give several varieties of what you can try with jungle trees. Start with the outline and then just randomly fill in some triangles... I usually stick to one central triangle then put one on each side at an angle... repeating the pattern as necessary. Same for the top-down jungles as well. Just experiment and see what looks good.

Name:	jungles.jpg 
Views:	1140 
Size:	497.0 KB 
ID:	6894

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Great job so far Delgo!
    I may never get into hand inked maps, but if I ever decide I know where to go to get started.
    I dub thee newly repped *bonk*
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmpig View Post
    This just keeps getting better and better
    Thanks to both of you SG and 5mpig appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Hey, out of curiosity, have you ever considered writing a book about this? If you wrote it in a similar way that you do your tutorials, I'm positive that there would be a sizable market; for example, when I tell people that I make maps, they're impression is "Hey, that's cool, I'd like to do that!"
    Check out Lulu sometime, if you're interested. It's a very nice self publishing company.
    Actually have a publishing company, My wife and I are writers as well, and we're putting out our first book soon which we've discussed at length in this thread Book Maps
    But I hadn't considered it until you mentioned it... and now I'm seriously considering doing just that. I don't, I'd have to think about it really, as a publisher, you sink a lot of money into a book even before it hits the shelf... so its a little scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    You know that I loves me some old school pen and ink and these practice sessions are awesome...I haven't done them in years. Thanks man! And that book isn't a half bad idea...look at all the junk on the shelves at the bookstore about how to draw Anime. But maybe there'd have to be some other stuff in there as well in order to "bulk" it up and charge 50 bucks.
    Yep Ascension... I'm seriously considering it. I think I'd be putting in not only the drawing aspect but the ability to transfer and manipulate it digitally. And it wouldn't be just pen and ink I think, I'd add color mapping as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallamadarius View Post
    Wow I gotta say this tutorial was awesome. You know your techniques are good for digital too if you have the right stuff. I just got CC3 thanks to my Dad and a writing tablet (wow what more could a kid ask for right). I'm gonna get started on doing some of those tutorials and seeing what I can come up with and finally post a map on here. Been far too long.
    Thanks Pallamadarius... Your dad sounds like an AWESOME guy. Post a map up .. we love maps... post them up and let's see them!!

Del-

You haven't mentioned the use of tracing paper... Any opinions on that? I have been working on a map and drawing elements using tracing paper (over a printout of the map) then scanning those in as a layer in Gimp.

-Rob A>

I was saving all the computer related info until after I had went over the basics... just little hit and run tutorials that deal with all the major features of a map... kinda theme based I suppose... I'm getting told alot lately though that what i'm up here talking about can be applied to digital mapping as well as pen and ink... so I might just expand out to cover some digital stuff while I fumble through my mess of a tutorial...

Thanks Rob for the reminder though, I probably would have forgotten that (among many other things)...

Tutorial Tutorial: Coastlines, Rivers and Lakes.

Little slow on this one, but here at last, coastlines, rivers and lakes.

Rob mentioned tracing paper and I was going to wait till the end to go over the digital aspect to pen and ink maps. But most of this stuff can be done digitally, you don't have to use pen and paper, you could just as easily use a Tablet and stylus, the same principles apply.

A majority of what I ink ends up getting scanned in to the computer for use digitally, and that alone has cut down on the mistakes I make. Well, no, It cuts down on the number of noticeable mistakes in whatever I draw

So you ask, what does tracing paper have to do with digital maps? Why can't I just scan it in, whatever I draw? True... you can do that. But tracing paper to fix mistakes on digital work, matching it up perfectly. I've found it invaluable for adding hand written text in by tracing over font styles or by tracing over Celtic knot work.

Name:	celtic band.jpg 
Views:	1247 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	6931

RobA for instance, drew a really nice map, but had done it graph paper, which he was having trouble editing out digitally. Tracing paper to the rescue, he copied his town exactly the way he'd drawn it minus the grid and it turned out Fantastic. But that's just a few things you can do with Tracing paper and Digital Art. I feel I should get on with the tutorial I planned

Coastlines

There's a point and time when you realize that the coastal regions you are drawing just aren't measuring up. At least it came to me as a sudden realization, and I strove to make more believable coastlines ever since. We should probably identify what parts actually make up a coastal region. I had to cut my usual pictures down to one per category as the limit on post images is set to 5. I'll be referring to this throughout the coastal part of the tut.

Name:	coastal.jpg 
Views:	1805 
Size:	928.1 KB 
ID:	6929

1. Peninsula
    2.Bay, Cape, Cove, Gulf
    3. Tombolo
    4. Lagoon.
    5. Island.
    6. spit
    7.Estuary
    8. Delta
    9. Sand bar or Shoal.

Of couse, not a definitive list of things you find on a coast, these are the ones I most often draw and deal with. Putting some of these in the right amount of places makes the difference between a really interesting map.. and a really blasé map that has no character. Interesting coastlines aren't all that easy to make, but with practice, and a good eye, you shouldn't have any problems with them after this

The way I started drawing coastlines was to first look at some of earth's coastlines. Scotland , Greece, Alaska , Cape Horn, Indonesia are some good places to start out looking at coastline. And when I say coastline I mean islands too, they are coastline after all. Switch from Terrain mode to map mode and look at them with both styles. Now sit down and try to draw some of those coastlines.

Above I illustrate how I go about ... I draw a line defining the where I about I want the coast. I then refine it, and once refined, I finish it off. I prefer heavy dark lines for the coast so they stand out. Keep practicing

Still giving you trouble, try the blind coast taste test. Draw a rough indication of where you want your coastline. Takea look at it ... now put your pen where your starting line was and close your eyes and try to draw along that line. make it slow and steady and try to keep it on that line you just drew... AMAZING you just drew a random near fractilized coast, congratulations... keep practicing that same unsteady hand movement and you will be able to draw some freehand coastlines in no time. Next to those coastlines are some of the effects I use to give the definition to coastal waters... keep the shaded parts as water, of course.

Still not getting coastlines down? Print off of google maps some of those coastlines you were admiring, or if you are doing them directly in your choice of software (Gimp, PS) if you can't download a googlemap either screen shot it or search the area you like in google images where you can find some really nice maps. then take your tracing paper and trace various sorts of coast line ... picking up the tracing paper and moving it around till you find a section of coast you like, get your tracing paper filled up and then scan it in and pull it up. start cutting up those sections and pasting them into the map and connecting them together to make your own coastline. If you still can't get it ... let me know, I'll draw them for you and only charge you a nominal fee Coastal Tax

Now, if we take a look at some rivers we have here on this wonderful planet: Congo, S. America,
    and another S. America Now those are some hellish rivers my friends.

Name:	riverrules.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	348.8 KB 
ID:	6927
    River Rules to Live By.
    The first is obvious, or should be, gravity is what it is, and water the magnitude of rivers here weight literally megatons. They always seek the lowest point on a map, and point is (usually) sea level. Unless you have some magical explanation for something otherwise, in which case you should probably relate that to people who see the map.

#2 is basically a hard and fast rule that I use, I don't know if it's going to send up red flags for people or not. But rivers tend to 'meander'. so to gage how your river should work, just measure the distance from starting point to stopping point in a straight line, multiply that by 3 and that is how long the river should be... winding back and forth until it gets there.

#3 is a big deal. At least it seems to be here at the guild. Rivers don't split (generally) going downhill. Eventually one channel will win out and all the water will divert down that path.

Then basically like a coastline you draw some rivers, except that you keep the lines smoother and let it meander through your map

Name:	bigriver.jpg 
Views:	1453 
Size:	322.7 KB 
ID:	6930

Lakes, let's take a look: Victoria , Canada , and that is why canada is called the land of a billion and two lakes.

Below are some of the types of lakes we find here on this beautiful ball of rock.

Name:	Lakes.jpg 
Views:	3721 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	6928

Subglacial
    Glacial lake
    Endorheic
    Fjord lake
    Oxbow
    Rift lake
    Crater

Sorry to cut the lakes real short, but after coastlines and rivers, lakes should be a breeze!
    Feel free to ask me some questions. Or if you need some examples.... Or anything at all.
    Last edited by Badger; 10-09-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Your latest post is so far the one I like most. Very informative, and those rivers you linked are an awesome sight. Keep it coming!

(Also, your remark of 'always doodling' has had its effect . I'm not doodling all the time, but a lot more than I used to, and I discovered how fun it was and now is again. Good stuff! And thank you )

Quote Originally Posted by Sirith View Post
    Your latest post is so far the one I like most. Very informative, and those rivers you linked are an awesome sight. Keep it coming!

(Also, your remark of 'always doodling' has had its effect . I'm not doodling all the time, but a lot more than I used to, and I discovered how fun it was and now is again. Good stuff! And thank you )
    Thanks Sirith .. its comments like these that make posting a tutorial all worth while Glad I could be of some use, you welcome

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast