Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help for a couple of things....

Help Need help for a couple of things....

Ive been working on a map for Conquer Club, and its going really well, but Im having problems doing somethings. I need to blend to different layers seamlessly (one is the bottom land layer, the other another layer for mud) so that the land doesnt look like it is sitting on or floating above another layer, and I also need to fix the legend in it and modify the bridges. Im not very good at bridges at all, and I cant figure out how to blend those to layers without making it look super blurry. Does anybody have any ideas?

Here was the last updated image I posted on cc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Famine-4.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	942.2 KB 
ID:	6681  

Guild Journeyer

What software are you using?

Well, for starters, whatever software you are using, you will have to get rid of the bevel and drop shadow effects that the top portion is showing. Then you can use some tranparency or blur effect on the edges of the top layer to blend it with the bottom one.

That is where the software comes in

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

@--> Jkaen

GIMP

@--> Patrakis

uh... you lost me after the world 'rid'. If im correct, I think your saying to remove most of the effects on the mud layer (hehe, good think i kept around the original layer before the effects) and then blur it and mess with the opacity?

Guild Journeyer

If you are using mask to define each layer, then the simplist way is to gausian blur the mask

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    @--> Jkaen

GIMP

@--> Patrakis

uh... you lost me after the world 'rid'. If im correct, I think your saying to remove most of the effects on the mud layer (hehe, good think i kept around the original layer before the effects) and then blur it and mess with the opacity?
    Not sure exactly what you are after, but if you create transparent layer and then fill in a selection with 50% grey(then remove selection!), blur it so the edges are blurred, then bump map that layer against your noise and set to overlay over you color. This is a non destructive technique to get texture down AND have a nice blend.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkaen View Post
    If you are using mask to define each layer, then the simplist way is to gausian blur the mask
    no, i havent gotten the use of masks down yet, so i havent been using those

but i could try doing it

@--> Jfrazierjr

uh... so let me see if im understanding you right (sorry that im not very understanding, ive been tired lately), it sounds like your suggesting that i make a selection of the mud, on a new layer make fill the selection with grey, blur it, then bump map it to my noise (you know, i have no clue what you mean by that ), and then set that layer mode to overlay?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

using masks in mapping is probably what you would call a staple to creating good high end maps.... so, definitely get in there and play around with masks... they are confusing at first, how they work, why they work when to use them.. when not use them, etc... but it will definitely pay off in the end if you can get a good grasp on using them ...

bump maps are what trick the eye into believing that the 2d image you are looking at is a 3d image .... just so you know
    and I'm not a gimp user, I use PS, but I believe what he is referring to is the filter that gimp has.... bump map filter --apologies if I'm wrong and totally speaking on a platform I've no business talking about

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    no, i havent gotten the use of masks down yet, so i havent been using those

but i could try doing it

@--> Jfrazierjr

uh... so let me see if im understanding you right (sorry that im not very understanding, ive been tired lately), it sounds like your suggesting that i make a selection of the mud, on a new layer make fill the selection with grey, blur it, then bump map it to my noise (you know, i have no clue what you mean by that ), and then set that layer mode to overlay?

What Del said.

Here is a technique I mentioned.

• Create a Filter->Render->Clouds->Solid noise layer. You may have to play with this a bit to get it the right settings
    • Hide this layer
    • Create a new Transparent layer and do your selection on the area you want.
    • fill the selection with 50% grey
    • Select-> None
    • Blur the new layer, perhaps 100px or even more if you want
    • with the grey/transparent layer selected, go to Filters->Map->Bump Map
    • Play with the settings. Depth and Elevation are the two main ones you will mess with for now
    • Change the layer mode to Overlay and it will apply the "texture" to the underlying color layer

Note that this is a non destructive way to add texture to a layer with some color. I hope this helps(and is actually what you were trying to ask).

As Del said, putting a mask on the layer, selecting the LAYER MASK in the Layers dialog and blurring that would also work.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

okay i tried everything suggested, but with no luck

(btw jfrazierjr, even though thats not exactly what i wanted, it was still a little helpful for future projects what im trying to do is create a smooth transition from mud to land so the land doesnt look like its just sitting on top of the mud)

oh well, if nobody has anymore ideas for smoothing the transition (without making it horribly blurry) then does anyone have any ideas or tips for making bridges? cause i need to redo the big ones completely

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast