Thread: Hand-drawn Temple Idol - multi-limbed woman

Default Hand-drawn Temple Idol - multi-limbed woman

So working on another hand-drawn commission map, this time a temple. While I can't post the map, I will post the first map object I am creating for it, which is a statue of the goddess for the temple. She is described as having four legs and four arms and is armed with a whip, a longbow, a sword and a club. (The map is for EN Publishing's "What is O.L.D. is N.E.W." game system starter kit - this will be a 24 x 36 inch printed map.)

While I can draw people, getting it right for a commission isn't easy, so I cheated. I used Poser (a 3D program) to create a nude woman posed on one knee with arms outward holding a weapon. I exported that. Then I changed her leg positions and arm positions, keeping the head, torso and butt in the same place and exported that. Then I imported to Raydream Studio, another 3D program placed the 2 statues on top of each other in the exact same place, so it appeared as a woman with four arms and legs. I did model the weapons from scratch though. I printed this out, traced hand-drawn lines on the edges, scanned and imported to Xara. I placed the line drawing on top of the 3D render of the statue. And voila - what you have below. Normally I don't put this much work on a map object, but its a key illustration for the map, so I often create 4 or 5 key pieces with extra special attention.

I also used Nendo a 3D subdivisional surface modeler to create the weapons in her hands - its quick and easy to use (once you know what you're doing) with very satifactory and organic results.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goddess-statue-improved.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	72110
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This is super cool. Thanks for sharing the process too!

cheers,
    Meshon

Maggotty pig, anyone?

This one is not 3D, simply a pen illustration scanned, given a 'stain-glass' transparency. Then shapes for the head and body, other shapes for the limbs, tail and ears, all given a pink and green fractal color mix, rounded bevel and drop shadow. Then maggots are actually shaped short 8 pt lines converted to shapes, given a rounded bevel, drop shadow, then copied, made transparent and given a 1 pt. outline then each maggot is grouped. Then I moved them into a mass, grouped, copied, then moved slightly and rescaled slightly. One pile placed below the pig, one above. All placed beneath the hand-drawn layer.

Name:  maggotty-pig.png
Views: 479
Size:  53.4 KB
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Hanging corpses... note, I didn't pick the grotesque subject matter, its the commission, really.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hanging-corpses.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	72197
    DrivethruRPG store

I just finished the commission that I made these symbols for, but I cannot post the map here - however, Russell Morrissey of EN Publishing posted a link to the map in Zenfolio, if you want to take a look. Note this map is the starter kit map for What's OLD is NEW RPG system which is built for multiple genres. This map features three distinct genres in the same map - the black floor are on top is a sci-fi starship deck, the tiled center area is modern gory hospital, and the flagstone area at bottom is orc-inhabited medieval dungeon, then the temple area which also kind of medieval has its own style. This map was a challenge to create, especially since sci-fi doesn't flavor well in hand-drawn work.

Here's the link: What's OLD is NEW startup map.
    DrivethruRPG store

Thanks for sharing what you could!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Had to rep that maggoty pig - that was gruesome.