Thread: Latest maps

Wip Latest maps

I've been working on a couple of maps, mostly for practice. I was going to enter the september challenge, but real life got in the way so I couldn't make the deadline and that map was never finished.

Anyway, here's the first one: http://www.imperialcross.co.uk/imper...ry/carvadd.jpg

I tried a different technique for the mountains. Didn't turn out so great, but it was worth a go. =P Not all places have been named because they don't have names yet, I'll add them as the story for this map progresses, but for now, it's essentially done I think.

I've started work on another one: http://www.imperialcross.co.uk/stuff...eros455wip.jpg

I'll probably try something radically different for the mountains, I dunno yet. The colour choices might seem odd, but I sorta like the colour scheme. It's not really supposed to be natural. Oh, and this one is also a local map from that other one I did.

You present some nice effects in those maps but they fail, someone, to respect cartography standards. Maybe that is what you are going for but if not, i'd suggest taking a look at some very good tutorials in these hall about river logics and topography as a whole.

Again, the effects are great. It's just missing some presentation logic where topography is concerned.

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Well with regards to the first map, the area is loosely based on the norfolk broads, though I'm not completely sure how they work geologically, which is why there are various lakes and such.
    The smaller branch isn't actually a natural river, but a drainage canal to drain parts of the fenland so it can be farmed.

The latter map is from my fantasy world I designed years ago, and because of the history, it's difficult to change some of the rivers and stuff, even though they are inaccurate. It's a bit of a problem I guess.

Anyway, I'm always out to improve my knowledge of how rivers work (besides the fact they run downhill =P), and I appreciate the topographic criticisms; they make me want to find out what I'm doing wrong. If you could point to some specific tutorials, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Maybe the rivers aren't natural (there are indeed some excellent tutorials on this site), but I like your style. It's simple, but elegant.