Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: List the Most Common "Reality" Errors!

Got one more for the list. Uniformely jagged coasts or uniformely smooth coasts.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ascanius View Post
    Got one more for the list. Uniformely jagged coasts or uniformely smooth coasts.
    I imagine this would vary somewhat with scale, but it's a good point. I just had a look at some maps and for example, Victoria Island has some nice jagged coastline and then a graceful smooth curve to the southeast. Labrador is pretty much jaggy all the way, but the northwest coast of Hudson's Bay has a great example of jagged to smooth.

cheers,
    Meshon

8. Deserts form in middle latitudes, not equatorial.
    more precisely: Tropics: yes, equator: no, mid latitudes (45) usually no, poles: technically yes but generally not considered as a desert by most people

and also another idea: when making a realistic map, consider putting less rivers in dry areas, or none at all in some cases. It rain less but then can still have water flowing from rainy plateaus like it's the case with the Nile.
    and, if it's realistic, a settled region will have less than 10% of forested area if it's on a plain. At some point it keeps declining as population increases but there will always be some patch of lands that cannot be settled. This topic might also contain interesting stuff : http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...t=20743&page=6
    So, if you put forests somewhere like in eastern China, you do it for artistic purposes but it's inaccurate.
    On the opposite, temperate hilly regions and mountains will have a large forest cover but most people do not mix these 2 elements.

oh and another fine topic on a similar subject: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=26743

Some that might be interesting:

desert in the south, tundra in the north (Game of thrones) but this is only true in the north hemisphere above the tropics
    vocaloes are evil! seriously, where do I put my volcanoes?
    also from Madcowchef: naming place according to their appearance as seen from above even in medieval times. Italy = boot, France= hexagon, was that a flying dinosaur ? http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...1&d=1378874254

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    5. Lonely mountains form only as shield volcanoes, otherwise mountains are part of a range.
    Or stratovolcanoes!

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Or stratovolcanoes!
    Well, stratovolcanoes form at subduction boundaries, so they normally form a chain or arc, but I guess in terms of "ranges", they are separated more than continental collision range mountains are

It's a good point that we should distinguish. Shield volcanoes tend to be isolated, one volcano over the hotspot. Stratovolcanoes tend to be in arcs or chains. Other mountains are in tight-knit ranges.

Banned User

13. Forests should always be shorter than the nearby mountains. Preferably by a lot

13. Forests should always be shorter than the nearby mountains. Preferably by a lot
    However, there are quite a number of places in the real world that defy this "rule."
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

2. River systems end in the ocean.
    Except for a number of them in the real world that don't. Always is a dangerous word.

4. Mountains form in linear or gently curving ranges. Ranges don't meet at sharp angles.
    I don't disagree, but Prof. Tolkien didn't take you very seriously when he created the mountains of Morder. As Che Guevera almost said, Let there be one, two, three, many such creators!

6. Rivers don't run through (in one side and out the other) a mountain range.
    Except when they do!

7. Swamps and lakes form in depressions, not on hills.
    Ever been to Lake Tahoe? Well, OK, that's on a mountain, not on a hill, and it flows into Lake Pyramid in Nevada and vanishes there, so according to an earlier "rule," Lake Tahoe probably doesn't exist at all. I could mention many other exceptions such as the Great Salt Lake, but only a churl would do that, so I won't.

8. Deserts form in middle latitudes, not equatorial.
    However, if you look at the real world, things might turn out a bit differently!

9. Rivers flow downhill always.
    But only if you ignore those that are affected by ocean tides.

13. Forests should always be shorter than the nearby mountains.
    Except in the real world, where they sometimes aren't.

Onward and upward! (Except if you're a river!)
    Last edited by Mark Oliva; 04-01-2015 at 11:56 PM.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    poles: technically yes but generally not considered as a desert by most people
    Probably because they're usually defined as tundra instead.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

As already noted, I'm in disagreement with a number of things in the original list. I think they unnecessarily restrict the design of a fantasy world as well as falsely portray what actually happens in the real world. In addition, I'm not a big fan of rules. I prefer guidelines.

Unfortunately, I had too little time available to do this yesterday, but the following is my suggested alternate list for folks who are designing and making maps for fantasy settings for RPGs or novels:

1. Almost all lakes have one outlet. There are some exceptions, but they are unusual. If you make exceptions, it's a good idea to have a reason for doing so, one your readers or players will understand.

2. Most rivers flow into an ocean. They may flow through lakes, they may be tributaries that flow into larger rivers, etc., but eventually, they usually flow into an ocean. There are a number of exceptions. These usually flow into inland lakes where the water evaporates and percolates into the ground water table, or they flow on into underground rivers, which again often reach the sea. It's a good idea to avoid such rivers in fantasy novels and settings unless they serve a real purpose.

3. Rivers seldom split. If they go around an island, they rejoin at some point. A river may have multiple channels through a final delta to the sea, but the river still is just one river. Those real world rivers that do split are the result of geological actions such as earthquakes. Many geologists believe that only one part of the split will survive in the long run. In a fantasy setting, such splits are confusing unless they serve a clear and understandable purpose.

4. Most mountains form in linear or gently curving ranges. Real world ranges don't meet at sharp angles. If they do in your setting, you need an explanation, such as the might of Sauron in creating the mountains of Mordor in Lord of the Rings.

5. Large, lonely mountains usually form only as shield volcanoes. Most mountains are part of a range.

6. Rivers do not naturally run through a mountain range. When they do so, it usually is the result of some event other than the river that has split the mountains.

7. Swamps and lakes form in depressions, not on hills, although lakes may form in craters and depressions atop hills and mountains

8. Rivers almost always flow downhill. But there are some exceptions near coastlines where rivers temporarily flow upstream at high tide.

9. Rivers usually follow relatively straight paths down hills and mountains, but they often tend to wind and meander on flat land.

10. Rivers often taper wider downstream, at confluences and in areas where their descent becomes gradual. They tend to be narrower where their descent is greater and their flow faster.

11. Coastlines usually are jagged and irregular.

12. Most forests are shorter than nearby mountains adjacent to them.
    Last edited by Mark Oliva; 04-02-2015 at 03:07 PM.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast