Thread: Color and Texture!

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Tulio Botinha's Avatar

Help Color and Texture!

I decided to re do some of my dungeon maps, so to scan them and put some color over them on gimp, then i just hit a wall, i was never great at coloring ( that is why most of my draws are just plain black an white) but with my color pencils i can work out a little, on the computer i cant. So can you guys show me a good painting/coloring tutorial? The ones that i found over the oracle (Google) assume that you already have a good understanding of Image Manipulation Programs, and i can just do some basic stuff in them.

This is what i was working on, it was supposed to be a mountain but after removing the graphite shandows (My scanner simple cant handle graphite well so i have to re do it on pen) and painting it on gimp it extrangelly looks like a tree hahahaha

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image (3).png 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	72217

Guild Applicant

Hey Tulio,

That map does look like a tree stump haha (kinda cool in it's own right!). I've just recently started using Gimp and Inkscape as well, and a technique I've found works for learning these tools is to find the tutorial for what you want to do (no matter how advanced it is) and every time they mention a tool you haven't used/don't know, you pause that tutorial and open an easier tutorial specifically for that tool. Repeat this until you are doing the simplest things, and build back up to that original tutorial.

You end up spending a good chunk of time making silly little manipulations all over the place, but it really helps you learn not only the tool but the entire gimp environment even better.

Just my two cents! Good luck with the color and texture!

P.S. You could also look for mentors/meetup groups in your area (esp. if you live near a city), teachers are a very fast way to learn these tools too!

I think you're having two problems here. The first is the colors you've chosen. Try gray instead of brown. That will give you more of a stone look instead of a dirt and wood one. The second is the rather extreme isometric angle on the mountain exterior. I think we should be able to see some of the slopes on the north and east sides (assuming "up" is north, of course), unless those slopes are ridiculously steep.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name