28. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

19 67.86%
  • no

9 32.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halloween regional map...

Post Halloween regional map...

I know the CL's have decided on an October Challenge, but for the sake of Halloween, how about creating a map with a dark and scary mood - the challenge being, create an overland map that contains a dark presence. Use geography, color pallette, names and graphic elements to instill a realm of horror.

Maybe that's too esoteric...

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

and didn't I read somewhere that it is also a map that you dreamed about? Going up against your skilz when you are not super inspired is daunting, going up against them when muses and fates have given you influence, that is just plain silly.

all in all, I would be up for it.
    Something witty and pithy

Post heh!

Yeah, I thought about that, but sometimes my ideas are waaaay out there, and despite being "good" aren't always popular when it comes time to vote. Halloween's my favorite holiday, and I think everyone would be interested in attempting something on the dark side, for the sake of it.

The question a potential entrant might ask themselves, "How can I induce horror in a map?" - the answer is by being creative, plus a horror map is open to lots of styles and genres. Horror works great in B/W, so old school maps could rock, by odd monochromes in greens, reds or blues can also induce horror. Blood and bruise colors is another way to go. Color is just one aspect in creating a feeling of horror.

Alien, the original movie was more horror than Sci-Fi, so horror can easily be adapted into a sci-fi map, fantasy anywhere on the timeline, old west, pirate, anything. Any geography can lend itself well to horror as well.

The secret is how to weave a map using the elements to induce horror. I think it would be fun!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Weaving horror in a map is easy, you just need my abhorrent skill at photoshop and the will to actually show people how you butchered a perfectly decent .jpg

kidding of course... but I thought it was a witty answer none the less....

I say a horror theme would be cool.... i'll see what the CL's think.... but I wouldn't hold my breath on it, last I checked it was looking like a done deal.

Post I could, so I did!

RP, just posted we could create a poll thread for challenge ideas - so I did!

And I did qualify myself, saying that the CL's have probably already decided on an October Challenge...

It could still work fine as a November Challenge though!

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Ya... but you never know.... maybe it could be worked into this OCT challenge... so it never hurts to ask... which is what I did

maybe this poll idea was the best thing since sliced bread

If I DO participate I would probably do a community (town map) and not a regional map. Most horror I am familiar with usually occurs in a small location (Zombie infested mall, Camp Crystal Lake, bunch of Trick-or-treating kids, small grocery store in a mist, etc.)
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Post Town map is fine!

I agree a town map would be a great way to go with horror. Truth is it would be quite a challenge to try and horrify a regional map, moreso than a town map, so being a larger number of people could work out a horror town - that's probably the best way to go.

In listening to some of the arguments in why those who do and do not enter into challenges, many seem to prefer larger map regions vs. tactical battlemap scale, so I offered regional, but town maps would still be attractive to the many.

I say, let's call it a City/Town Horror map for a challenge!

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

I'll vote here after I have seen the Oct challenge. Maybe we can just put some horror into the Oct framework anyway. I saw Dusk till Dawn the other day. That had the distinct impression that part way through filming Tarantino thought... "you know this film needs a bit more horror in it". Perhaps ill do a Dusk till Dawn entry.

that's because Robert Rodriguez wrote the last half of the movie.. it was a joint production between the two.... Tarantino wrote the first part.. hence all the dialog Rodriquez wrote the second part.. hence all the explosions and blood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast