Thread: New map for a short story or novel

Default New map for a short story or novel

I have recently found this site and figure there are tons of people much more qualified than myself in regards to creating the map. I have an idea for a story and thought I would post here with information and see what all resources are out there.

I have a basic idea of how I would like my map to look (it is rough and only has country names but no town names as of yet.)
    I am not sure of what a normal rate is for creating this map. What is normal? I aspire to write a novel so might need the map for the book front. I am assuming that would be me needing the copyright but can give full credits of the design to the artist.

Timeframe is that I am currently gathering thoughts still so the story is a while off. Not in a big rush to get it completed but it might help the creative juices at some point.

Size of map would be somewhat small to begin with but might grow if I need to expand the storyline later on. Most likely one continent really.

I am open to adapting the map if it makes sense and I can change the story obviously at some point in the future with regards to locales.

Any information would be appreciated! I am a novice in regards to normal practice with this stuff so am trying to give as much information as possible.

Cheers,

Drubnek

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Hi Drubnek, and welcome!

The easiest way is to take a look at the Requesting a map? thread. Other than that, I'd say a problem I see is that you're not really certain what you need or want. As a writer I can sympathize, but as a cartographer I would shy away from your request solely due to the fact that you can't really tell me what you want and wether your initial job wouldn't eventually metastasize out of control, which would quite certainly entail the cartographer to up his or her financial demands to compensate for the workload. It's simply easier for you to take a step back, do some soul-searching and decided on what you need first. But that's just my opinion on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Hi Drubnek, and welcome!

The easiest way is to take a look at the Requesting a map? thread. Other than that, I'd say a problem I see is that you're not really certain what you need or want. As a writer I can sympathize, but as a cartographer I would shy away from your request solely due to the fact that you can't really tell me what you want and wether your initial job wouldn't eventually metastasize out of control, which would quite certainly entail the cartographer to up his or her financial demands to compensate for the workload. It's simply easier for you to take a step back, do some soul-searching and decided on what you need first. But that's just my opinion on the matter.
    Thanks for the feedback! I have a rough printout of the design that I am looking for. It shows the continent form as well as some country names. I have some of the basics in as far as bodies of water and mountain ranges. If I upload a picture of it, would that help? Like I said I am pretty new to all of this. On normal requests do you have the requests down to placing city names and major attractions or is it high level continent designs?

As far as needing the other world continents, that would most likely be down the road and a separate project really.

Cheers,

Drubnek

Banned User

I think there is plenty of room to develop your world as you develop the map with a good cartographer. If you would like, email me at yodercm@earthlink.net and I'll give you some description of how the process works.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Hey Drubnek, I'd take up chick's offer. If you're interested in getting another opinion (and/or quote), you can also write me at wolfmaster@gmx.net.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    I think there is plenty of room to develop your world as you develop the map with a good cartographer. If you would like, email me at yodercm@earthlink.net and I'll give you some description of how the process works.
    Thanks! I am all new to whole cartography thing so I wasn't exactly sure how much detail I would need before getting the project going. The town names I have but just not on the map I have as a jpeg design. I had figured it would be just another layer to add. Is it normal for the copyright to be with the cartographer or with the writer/DM person? Also is there a range that is customary for designing? I am just trying to avoid sticker shock

Cheers!

Drubnek

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Thanks for the offer! I sent a PM to your email. Hopefully I will be a bit more knowledgeable so I can ask the correct questions!