Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** April 2015 Challenge : Cut-away***

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Default *** April 2015 Challenge : Cut-away***

This month, the challenge is to do a cut-away map. Be sure that the map is a real cut-away, not just a simple side-view though. It could be a cut-away of a medieval manor, a cut-away of a troops transport spaceship, a cut-away of a giant dead tree trunk where fairy folks have build a settlement inside or a cut-away of a dungeon hidden in a sleeping volcano. Well, I guess you got the idea, now you just have to work your magic!

As per usual, please include the following to your entry thread:

Title each new thread April 2015 Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ###.

The contest will end sometime around the first of May and a fter a couple days of voting, the winner shall receive a golden compass and congratulations from his peers!
    Last edited by - Max -; 04-07-2015 at 07:15 AM.

Banned User

Please define "real cut-away". Does that mean a vertical cross section view, or what? Also, do you want us to use "Avril" rather than "April" for the thread titles?

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Please define "real cut-away". Does that mean a vertical cross section view, or what?
    Yes it's a vertical cross section view (can be done with a perspective view). I used the term "real cut-away" in opposition to a basic "side view" which wouldn't work here. You have to clearly see the inside part(s) of the featured mapping subect, whatever it is.

I think it might be best to include some examples so people understand.

To my understanding you mean something along the lines of this image (a perspective cut-away) or this one (a side-view one). Is that right?

I've only really drawn one proper cut-away map before (which is here) so would something similar to that be acceptable?
    Last edited by Larb; 04-07-2015 at 05:08 PM.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I think it might be best to include some examples so people understand.

To my understanding you mean something along the lines of this image (a perspective cut-away) or this one (a side-view one). Is that right?

I've only really drawn one proper cut-away map before (which is here) so would something similar to that be acceptable?
    That's sort of what I imagined but those three images don't really seem like maps to me.

The three examples are perfect Larb. Actually they are all good samples of cut away maps (@ Sarithus : I think they would look better as maps once displaying some informations ) I'll try to link more examples tommorrow.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    That's sort of what I imagined but those three images don't really seem like maps to me.
    I have to say I agree. I kinda wish we could get away from drawing pretty buildings and farm fields and do more mapping

Well a deckplan of something or sideview of a building or complex of buildings would count. You are just showing the internals rather than the external - with labels and stuff to make it mappy. Imagine one of those side view maps for a cruise ferry or cruise liner - that would be an example.

I think something like the sunset tower map that is in my gallery from a previous challenge would fit the criteria too.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

We have a loose interpretation of what constitutes a "map' here at CG.

This is another example of a side view map that I did for a challenge a couple years ago. It is more mapish, and less illustration. This challenge is open to a lot of possibilities.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cavern-Toganda4b_bg.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	72530

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    I have to say I agree. I kinda wish we could get away from drawing pretty buildings and farm fields and do more mapping
    I want to join a challenge but I'm waiting for a traditional kind of map. I don't do villages or buildings ;P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast