Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And now for something a lil bit different

Hybrid View

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wip And now for something a lil bit different

Trying out something a bit more traditional and not so satellite-ish since my usual stuff is such a yawner. I'm kinda liking this except maybe I should keep my old mountain style instead of this new one but I have one more idea to try on the mountains...just haven't done it yet but I wanted to put this up and see if it gets any responses. The first pic is the basic topography and the second is a lil more developed with borders n such. It's also smaller than what I normally do 'cuz this is more of an experiment with a new style to see if I can develop it further before going into my normal scale/size. It's also much lighter than what I usually do so maybe folks will like this better. Took about 6 hours this morning then I had to watch football so I was done before noon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new style.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	6701   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new style a.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	6702  
    Last edited by Ascension; 09-28-2008 at 08:24 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

oooooooooo.... i likey! ....

Excelent feeling of color and ambiance. and a fresh looking map... I like this style very much
    Don't Forget!! Rate a Tutorial Today; Add a TAG to a thread today; CLICK on a GOOGLE ADLINK once today!

Thanks man I appreciate it. BTW, the lil city icons are just pics of various castles I found on the web and applied some filters, and they're named accordingly except for Ennui 'cuz I got it from Wikimedia so I don't know which castle it is so I just named it the first French word that popped into my head -- ie. boredom. Wow that was a run-on sentence wasn't it, heh?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

A big part of the appeal in a map comes from the choices of colors. The choices you made with this one are very good. It's very pleasing to look at.

Thanks

Pat
    The truth detective
    www.patoumonde.com

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Liking this very much...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Ghoraja Juun, my largely stagnated campaign setting.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

okay, those rivers are just plain badass. I love the color gradient that you are using on them. It looks very similar to to shaded relief "biome" maps that Nat'l Geo put out. I really like the subtlety of the political boundaries as well. I think you might have a style that works very well.

Suggestion: Change the landform outline from that raw umber/chocolaty color to a medium blue from your rivers, I think it will soften up the transition from land to sea.
    Something witty and pithy

Praise Nice work!

I really like this style over your past work! I especially like the city symbols, reminds of the Archean League in that way.

Keep up with this, I think you're really on to something. I'm dishing out "Rep" like crazy today!

GP
    Gamer Printshop - We print RPG Maps for Game Masters!
    http://www.gamer-printshop.com

Kaidan setting of Japanese Horror (PFRPG) Google+ community

Thanks guys! Glad to know I'm on a right path now. I had debated the stroke on the landforms (2-pixel black in the second image and reduced opacity in the first) but I'm sort of shooting for that "old elementary school geography class wall poster" effect but more modern. I may remove it but I'll give a blue a go...this will change the interior borders to blue as well though since I have the 2-pixel black lines on the same layer. I might change the whole kit n kaboodle back to a 1-pixel stroke but that's barely noticeable. As for the rivers I just draw lightning bolts on a new layer with a 1-pixel and 2-pixel brush then make a selection of this layer and copy the ocean layer and put it on top in order to get the color variations.

Here's some more work done, mostly labeling but I added a really cheesy banner and scale. Need to do still: frame, compass, label the rivers, rework the banner, lots of labeling for mountains and islands and such, and a few other bits that I'm not sure how I want to do them yet but will experiment tomorrow.

GP -- Yeah, me too, these new AH guys have some skillz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new style a.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	6726  

Ascension, I think you could really be onto something here. I love the style. Its unique and very artistic. Cool map, great fonts and city iucons too. BUt I agree with other posters. i think the colours are where you really nail it.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

Ok... so how did you get those mountains done? ... you must tell me! I want to know the secret too!!

If the 1pix line isn't noticeable try it with a slight blur.... or even with the 2 px to tone it down. I like the one you got there personally, but you seemed to want to make it not so bold....
    Last edited by delgondahntelius; 09-29-2008 at 05:20 AM.
    Don't Forget!! Rate a Tutorial Today; Add a TAG to a thread today; CLICK on a GOOGLE ADLINK once today!