Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: And now for something a lil bit different

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wow, thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. It's good to know that people like this as much as I do. It's pretty much the way I make all of my maps after I have the topography done. Putting my usual satellite style into a more standard style at least means I don't have to worry about it being too dark I had envisioned putting other elements onto this, sort of like a book cover with heroes and heroines and such so I'll dig thru some of my old drawings and if something fits then I might color em up in PS and finish it off the way I had planned.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

OK so this doesn't actually have anything to do with mapping but shows how I plan to use the map in a book cover. Spent most of the night photoshopping some color into an old drawing of one of my mages named Serge. The coloring is fairly simplistic...lay down some basic colors then use dodge and burn for highlights and shadows. The drawing itself might not blend too well stylistically since I drew this during a lecture back in grad school but it's all I got that isn't garbed in armour or swinging big ole weapons. Still have lots more to do but I'm gonna chill out and read a book for the rest of the night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover 1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	6779  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Spent most of the night photoshopping some color into an old drawing of one of my mages named Serge.
    I read that and I had to chuckle, the first thing that came to mind was Bronson Pinchot in Beverly Hills Cop (I think), picturing him dressed as wizard cracked me up (but I'm strange like that sometimes).

The wizard looks like he stepped right out of a comic book. Quite a contrast with the map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

SG -- Yeah, since high school I had dreams of being a comic book illustrator. What I need to do is throw out the lines and make it look more painterly so I'll probably do that tonight.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    What I need to do is throw out the lines and make it look more painterly so I'll probably do that tonight.
    Ahhh...kind of like the Samurai Jack cartoon - no black outlines that are typical in most animation.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Oh, man, I love Jack (and the Scotsman)...I hadn't even thought about that but no I was referring to the standard type of fantasy cover painting Not sure I'll finish this post work stuff anyway since this map is too small for my liking and I can't put in all of the detail that I would like to. I dunno, haven't decided. If I could cartoon like whoever did Jack then I wouldn't have to shred my hands everyday on glass...think I lost about 1/2 a cup worth of red bubbly today (bad day). So with my fingers all bandaged up I'll probably just play a game tonight that doesn't require me to mouse anything. Oh wait there's that debate happening about 25 miles away, maybe I should go and sit in the audience so that I can see the trainwreck in person.

Guild Journeyer

#Well even if you have to redo this, I think you have definetely found a very nice style to work in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123