Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shadow Dance series

Map Shadow Dance series

here are the two maps I did for David Daglish's Shadowdance series published by Orbit Books.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TimPaul_WesternDezrel.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	321.2 KB 
ID:	72528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TimPaul-OrbitBooks-791x1024.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	226.2 KB 
ID:	72529

These are kind of old, and I think they are kind of crude compared to some of the maps I'm making now. They still look good in the books.

I've got several other maps I've done for Orbit books to post, but I have to wait till they get published.

You can consider them "crude" but are really nice in my opinion;
    They're simple, yet elegant, a combination I always find pleasing.

As fabio said, nice, clear and simple. For a paperback book that is all that is needed most of the time.

Can you spoil the names of the authors you did maps for? I read lots of fantasy and Orbit is one of the more interesting publishers. So i'd be interested for what series you did maps.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    As fabio said, nice, clear and simple. For a paperback book that is all that is needed most of the time.

Can you spoil the names of the authors you did maps for? I read lots of fantasy and Orbit is one of the more interesting publishers. So i'd be interested for what series you did maps.

David Daglish. 5 of the 6 books are out in the series. There's a link to them on Amazon in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by TimPaul View Post

I've got several other maps I've done for Orbit books to post, but I have to wait till they get published.
    I'm sorry, i think you misunderstood me. I was refering to the quoted thing above. I was asking for the name(s) of book series for maps that you have yet to show us.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    I'm sorry, i think you misunderstood me. I was refering to the quoted thing above. I was asking for the name(s) of book series for maps that you have yet to show us.
    Oh. Well, one is actually out, A Crown for Cold Silver. I can't show the map, as Orbit wants to do a blog post about it.

The other book won't be out till August, so not going to say anything about it quite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by TimPaul View Post
    Oh. Well, one is actually out, A Crown for Cold Silver. I can't show the map, as Orbit wants to do a blog post about it.
    [off-topic]*opens the ebook of A Crown for Cold Silver* Huh...you know, why on earth would the publisher NOT include the map in the damn ebook if they have one *shakes head* I'm more than a bit ****ed off right now... [/off-topic]

Any chance you are allowed to show us the map now? I hate reading fantasy novels set in secondary worlds without having a map.

And just to be clear: this is not meant as a critic aimed at you. I just thought you also might want to know and therefore, as we talked about the map for this particular book, i posted in this thread.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yeah, I was a little ****ed off at that too, Eilathen. It's not in the hardcover either. It's (kind of) on the cover of the book, I guess, but yeah...

Well, Talked with the Creative Director. It wasn't her call, but for some reason, Marketing didn't want to put the map in the hardcover, but use it as part of their promotional push. This is what she told me:

marketing decided to keep the map pages out of the Crown for Cold Silver Hardcover, because they have all the big plans of revealing it slowly to the fans thru marketing – there’s going to be the process post, and a “fantasy map quiz” we’re trying to get on buzzfeed, and a downloadable map people can print if they want.

I've already done the process interview, between me, the Creative director and author, I think it will be up this week. The CD is in Paris right now, so emailing her probably won't get me answers till she is back.

It will be in the tradepaper back. So yeah, kind of bummed it wasn't in the hardcover, but if they can do all that, that's a lot of exposure for me.

So until they reveal the map, I can't, since they have first publishing rights. Once they do, I'll come back and update and post the map and links.

Thanks for the information, Tim.
    Sometimes i just have to shake my head about those marketing people. How can you not provide the "full-package" for your premium customers (because that's what readers who buy the hardcover are)? The only positive thing is the exposure for you, so thumbs-up on that front.

In that case i will wait until we can see that map before i start with the book.

Anyway, i'm sorry for all the off-topic. I'll be quiet now.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast