Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP Campaign Continent

Guild Apprentice

Post WIP Campaign Continent

This is for my new campaign "Defenders of Arven." At RPMiller's suggestion, I looked through some tutorials here and saw what I could come up with. This is about 4 hours of work while distracted by football. I decided to put it down for a while and connect back. I used Rob A and Jeremy Elford tutorials primarily and photoshop. I tried to do a not-parchment-style but I got frustrated with the filters I was using causing the colors to end up really bright/neon/strange-especially when trying to make the map 3D. A hybrid between parchment ended up being my next step.

To do: I want to add some rivers, major cities, and some major paths. The southern region is unknown to the players but I think I'll just insert "Southern Kingdoms" or something to make it a more well rounded map. Criticism is welcomed. I am entirely new to this so if there are specific tutorials (I use photoshop) you can point me to, that would be great!!!

Full Image

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Personally, I see nothing at all wrong here. Everything looks pretty good and hangs together well. Just make sure that the rivers are done in the same color as the stroke for the landmass and this will be done-a-mundo Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Apprentice

Wip

Thanks! I made a few updates...

Praise Nice one, Hawke!

Nice work on that continent, Hawke. I saw your post and RP's response at RPTools forum. Glad to see you here!

There are several Photoshop specific tuts in these forums, explore them all.

Put in a vote in this month's challenge if you will.

I "repped" you for your map work so far!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Apprentice

I'm trying to figure out a better way to do the rivers. I feel they sort of look like veins right now and not as much like rivers. Any suggestions? Right now they are detached from everything else, so I can easily pull the layer and start over.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
    I'm trying to figure out a better way to do the rivers. I feel they sort of look like veins right now and not as much like rivers. Any suggestions? Right now they are detached from everything else, so I can easily pull the layer and start over.
    Perhaps they are to 'strait', they don't seem to wander back and forth enough. Try making them more "squiggly"... I think rivers are one of the hardest things to do (at least for me).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

look at maps of similar real world places and see how their riverine and riparian (I do not get to use that word much) features play out. In mountains rivers are fairly straight but when rivers hit the coastal plain and slow down they meander somewhat.
    Something witty and pithy

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Looking good so far.

One method I discovered that helped me make some nice rivers was, if you're drawing them roughly by hand with a brush, set the jitter on the brush to a moderate level--not so the brush strokes completely scatter on you, but enough to make the line you draw look a little rough and jaggedy. Then, let your stroke meander around in a rivery way. You'll also need a way to vary the width, having it get wider toward the mouth, but it looks like you've already got that part figured out.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Apprentice

Continue to work on the map here... I've moved some elements around. I've fixed a few of the rivers, but will probably wait on the others. I'm planning on expanding the portions the players visit as the campaign progresses and include a smaller map with cities, roads, forests, etc.

I really don't like the forests in the small map, I'm looking for a new style that works fairly well. I think a solid canopy with inked lines inside it and then some trunks at the bottom fits well for the map, so if anybody knows an "inky tree canopy" texture they could point me to I'd love it! After that, I'm going to look into some better mountains.

(Yeah, I'm ripping the names from wotc's nentir vale for the cities for the time being. Was too focused on mapping to think of anything!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map4.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	216.6 KB 
ID:	7215   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arven_map.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	7216  

I very much like the look of your larger map. It's coming along very nicely! The rivers, I agree, could use more "squiggliness," and the roads along with them. in your smaller map, the outline of the lake is awfully chunky. You might try looking at Zombie Nirvana's tutorials for the trees. I think that sounds like the style you're looking for?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast