Thread: Escrow: One Map, Three Ways (Please Critique)

Guild Apprentice

Post Escrow: One Map, Three Ways (Please Critique)

So, because I've only used photorealistic(ish) type maps for my regional maps, I decided to try a few new styles with one of my old maps, Escrow. This allowed me to save some time and focus on the different styles. As always, I plundered some of the guild's tutorials for new techniques to use in GIMP. I'd love to hear any comments/criticism on each of these versions, especially what I could have done differently. Each was made in GIMP, and I cheated a little using pre-made brushes for the trees/mountains in the second two (courtesy of Gidde and his tutorial). First, the original (and I apologize if any one you have seen it already):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Escrow Map Final Labeled.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	72602

Next, I tried to do a black and white version, which I saw was especially a challenge to include labels without erasing the underlying map underneath. Morevoer, I stopped short of labeling everything, like the rivers, sub-regions, and forts to keep things from looking too busy. I'm not sure if my forests and mountains are too dark or if I need to darken my oceans, because I feel like the map is much busier over the major land areas. Maybe that's not even problem. Should I have erred on the side of assaulting the eyes with information? Lemme know what you think.

Name:	Escrow Map B&W.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	72603

Finally, I used my black and white version as the ink for a less clean, more realistic parchment design. Ostensibly, the only changes are a tan gradient map for all the whites, ink bleed all over the place, a texture/bumpmap layer, and a grunge overlay. Is the grunge too dark? Does the ink bleed too much?

Name:	Escrow Map Hand Drawn lowq.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	4.69 MB 
ID:	72604

I may make another trio out of another of my maps if you guys like these and give some descent feedback to make the next set even better. Which one do you guys like the most? Comment, critique, or click away
    Scarce

I like all of them, although I prefer the newer ones

I like the first one, except for the mountains. It kind of looks like you're trying to have contour lines (which would be weird, given they aren't used elsewhere) and shadows to give depth, and they don't combine well. I really like look of the forests and the rivers look good, except that I don't buy the Riverrook split. Either the Athari Sea got bigger when it became the Athari Ocean and you have unlabeled water on the first map, or you labelled the other two better in that body of water. You've created some interesting coastlines without it looking in any way silly or contrived. On the first map, there is a red line that is not clear in its purpose. I would guess that it is a continental border (thus, only the one appears) for Southern Nevarene, but I have to guess. Also, it does not go all the way across the land, as it should if it is a border.

Guild Apprentice

You had some really insightful comments, rdanhenry. Allow me to comment on a few of my mistakes: The mountains are indeed hideous, as it was my first map and I butchered a tutorial on mountains. After three tries, that was the best I got. I think I've gotten a lot better at it since. Secondly, the red line is a continental boarder. I intended it for a political boarder, but never properly made it clear.

On the Riverrook split, how should I change this design is future maps to look more like a small delta, rather than an oddly splitting river?

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Either the Athari Sea got bigger when it became the Athari Ocean and you have unlabeled water on the first map, or you labelled the other two better in that body of water.
    And I can't believe I didn't catch that mistake. I mistakenly labeled the Athari Sea an Ocean when remaking the map in black and white XD. I'll fix that with some quick edits when I get the opportunity.

I like them all. The big question in what type of setting are you going to use them in? the top would be good for a modern setting, but not one based in the medieval era. If they are just for you to use, then which one are you more comfortable with?