Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aarklash in space

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Wow, you're putting an insane amount of detail into this!

Hey Ilanthar, Great job!
    I really like the overall layout/arrangement of planets in the newest map a lot, although i think the fading "glassbars" were looking amazing on the background. Maybe only use them as cartouches for the information tables next to the planets?
    Regarding the font, the new one looks a bit too "scripty" for a space map in my view. I don't know the original background world but the icons are looking like tribals and somehow seem not to be "speaking the same language" as the font.
    Thanks a lot for the nice planet mini tutorial. It really makes me want to get into space-mapping myself!.

Thanks guys!

By Abu Lafia
    Maybe only use them as cartouches for the information tables next to the planets?
    Well, what do you think of this? I've also changed the font. I did a few more tests and ended with this other one (on the right).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aarklash in space v22.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	641.0 KB 
ID:	72799 or Click image for larger version. 

Views:	84 
Size:	614.0 KB 
ID:	72802

Thanks a lot for the nice planet mini tutorial. It really makes me want to get into space-mapping myself!.
    Great! I would be glad to see you making space maps . I can do a more complete and "real" tutorial if you need.
    Last edited by Ilanthar; 04-18-2015 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Adding another test

Wow, these tests look fantastic! I (somewhat spontaneously) suggested something like this, but your superb realization exceeds my vague ideas about this by far. This really makes me aware of the fact, that i have a long way to go before i am capable myself to realize a lot of my ideas regarding mapping. Your tutorial, like the privilege to have insight in your (and all the others) working- and thought-processes through the WIP threads will surely be short cuts If you can find the time one day to make a more complete planet-tutorial, i'm sure i wont be the only one who'd greatly appreciate it!
    Well, i guess now it's time to "set the controls for the heart of the sun"...

PS: i totally forgot to say that i prefer the second test and think the new font fits much better...

Wow, Illanthar, once again superb and inspiring space maps. For me, you're the king of space maps. I dig the right hand version more (of your last two posted versions). I like the circles around the planets.
    I don't think i can rep you yet, but this would totally deserve rep...so if i can't rep you, consider this post "rep in spirit"
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Thanks a lot, both of you!

@Abu Lafia : I'm gonna try to do a tutorial soon.
    @Eilathen : "king of space maps"? I'm not sure it's deserved, but I surely like it !

So I've opted for the circled ones and done a bit more. Now, my main problems are the numerous moons of the gas giants.

Views:	68 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	72841

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Awesome. And the circled ones are a great way to force the viewer's eye to focus on the selected planet!

Illanthar, I know it's very technical but if your going with science plausibility

Lanever is located within the roche limit radius and will be torn apart eventually. I think it should already start to break in pieces.

Thanks Wired!

By Azelor
    Lanever is located within the roche limit radius and will be torn apart eventually. I think it should already start to break in pieces.
    I hadn't think about it, but you're right of course. I could correct it by deleting the last ring but that would diminish their effect... So, I'll play the magic card there ! After all, it's based on a highly magical setting, and Lanever is the home of mighty elves.

Here's a bit more. I'm not sure Lanever informations are easy to read. I'll do a different thing for the numerous moons of Alahan and put the texte in the bottom of the picture.

Views:	62 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	72851

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post

@Eilathen : "king of space maps"? I'm not sure it's deserved, but I surely like it !
    Well i think it is! Although after you questioned the truth of it, i remembered that Wired's space maps are also very epic...so i need to correct my statement to "You are one of the two Kings of space maps"
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast