Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post-apocalyptic Europe map

Guild Novice

Map Post-apocalyptic Europe map

I hope this is where I should post this...

This is, in my opinion, the best map I have made. It's set in a post-apocalyptic dieselpunk world. Stories say that civilisation collapsed when it became too decadent, and the Sky Father's minions, the Fey Folk, cleansed the sinners with righteous light and flame. The World Before was torn apart in order to make way for World After. It's now 557 W.A., and the nation of Bretannya is making quite a stir in Orope.

Here's the full explanation of the map:

"Bretannya's recent acceptance into the WSCDO is highly signification in contemporary international politics. It shows Bretannya's shift from a peaceful trading nation, to a more powerful nation willing to intervene overseas in order to protect its trade.

Because of this new wave of interventionism in Bretannya, formerly weak alliances and multilateral defence pacts, namely the WSCDO and the Krimya Pact, have found themselves with the support of one of Orope's rising economic and military powers, and have grown significantly since Bretannya's inclusion in their organisations.

Whilst their joining of the Krimya Pact has gone mostly unnoticed (primarily because Bretannya practically has a monopoly on trade from the Blak Sea and so no other nations have major assets in that area) their joining of the Western Central Sea Defence Organisation has caused a significant ruckus.

The primary reason for this is the fact that the United Republic of Sardeenya and Sisili is a member of the WSCDO. The nation of Sardeenya and Sisili in itself is a miracle, Sardeenya is heavily Ispani, whilst Sisisli is completely Eslamist. However, the two islands found similarities in their Yitalan cultures and language, and so, in an increasingly hostile climate, with both Yitala and Venez [now Venez and Kalabra] setting out on crusades to unite all of Yitala, the two islands decided to unite in order to prevent one of them being annexed by the yitalan powers.

But with Bretannya allied with them there is no chance of either yitalan powers, or Tunasa (which has recently been calling for Sisili's independence) invading the nation without a massive war with several powerful nations.

After Bretannya's acceptance into the WSCDO, Yitala, surprisingly, applied to join. Whilst the other yitalan nations would have usually rejected Yitala outright, but the Bretannyan delegate argued that if they had a mutual defence pact with Yitala then they would never have to live in fear of a Yitalan invasion. Seeing the logic in this, and understanding that Bretannya was essentially guaranteeing their independence, the other members of the WSCDO agreed to Yitala's inclusion.

This created Orope's first major alliance and defence pact network. Bretannya was part of the United Northern Pact, a multilateral defence pact between major je manni nations, well before it even became notable in power, and now, with its membership in the WSCDO, a yitalan-je manni axis has been created, and Bretannya's notability has sky rocketed.

The number of nations Bretannya has alliances and defence pacts with is unprecedented, but no nation stays so powerful for long."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oropea zrelations finipng.png 
Views:	3776 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	6724  

Post Reminds me of my challenge entry for this month!

Nice map, it reminds me of my October Challenge Map, Archean League - in that the ocean is not blue, so all the information there can be better seen. Plus nice backstory on your alternate history!

Have some "Rep" on a map well done!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I really like the incongruity of there being a map made in a future that has such an old style. That is one tight map!

A little Rep is coming your way

now make a new map and show it to us!
    Something witty and pithy

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Oooo very nice, reminds of turn of the century stuff (early 20th century that is).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmpig View Post
    I really like the incongruity of there being a map made in a future that has such an old style.
    It's because humanity has reverted to an earlier age of technology. That's what happens when the USA gets literally nuked back to the stone age.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmpig View Post
    now make a new map and show it to us!
    Why make a new map when I have about ten more I've yet to show you?

Maybe I should just link to my deviantart, all my maps are on there...

Guild Journeyer

Interesting and looking good however, I cant see a key for the pink and brown areas. It's also difficult to read the black text over the darker colours.

What about the rest of the UK- N/Ireland, Scotland as well as Iceland , Norway, Sweden and Finland? They are part of Europe too. The top of Africa isn't part of Europe either, it's part of ...er..Africa. - or is all this a new identity of Europe? Sorry, I tried reading through the explanation, but it was a bit too deep for my lunchtime break

The region you have selected is more similar to the Roman Empire than Europe (which is just a observation than any crit )

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's a great map, and I can only be nit-picky about one thing, and that is the text is extremely hard for me to read.

Now having said that, it might just be that my eyes are bad (I'm old ).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by jezelf View Post
    Interesting and looking good however, I cant see a key for the pink and brown areas.
    Ah, well, pink is Bretannya, as it's a map of Bretannya's international relations. Brown areas are not nations, they are sparsely populated by nomads and heretical warlords.

It's also difficult to read the black text over the darker colours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    It's a great map, and I can only be nit-picky about one thing, and that is the text is extremely hard for me to read.

Now having said that, it might just be that my eyes are bad (I'm old ).
    You're both old and blind.

Seriously though, it looks perfectly easy to read to me, I don't know why it doesn't to you. If you have particular difficulty reading any one bit then ask me and I'll tell you what it says.

What about the rest of the UK- N/Ireland, Scotland as well as Iceland , Norway, Sweden and Finland? They are part of Europe too.
    They're all sparsely inhabited or are only made up of tiny, unrecognised pirate states.

The top of Africa isn't part of Europe either, it's part of ...er..Africa. - or is all this a new identity of Europe? Sorry, I tried reading through the explanation, but it was a bit too deep for my lunchtime break

The region you have selected is more similar to the Roman Empire than Europe (which is just a observation than any crit )
    Orope [Europe] has come to mean what we know as Europe in addition to all nations that border the Central Sea [Mediterranean Sea].

Oh, and, if I want to post more maps, should I just post them in thist thread or should I make a new thread for them?
    Last edited by Kuraru; 09-29-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I get this darkness stuff all the time so don't be too worried over it. Evidently you and I both have our monitor setup brighter than most so that everything looks good (to us) but others can't see. What I do to fix that is to put a solid layer of white over top of everything, reduce the opacity to 50% or so, then set the blending mode to soft light. In the end it's much easier for me to do that than to tell everyone that their monitors are too dark Keep up the good work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

The text is hard to read for me as well. A small, tight, pale yellow glow outlining the black text would work better IMO.

Great map though, looks like an interesting world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast