Thread: Storm Bride Map

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Default Storm Bride Map

This map - and really just the geographic part - was done for author J.S. Bangs to accompany his novel Storm Bride.

I did a relief map and then opened it in Illustrator and vectorized the image. The author put all labels on the map.

Done in PS and Illustrator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	land-of-storm-bride.png 
Views:	308 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	72715  

Banned User

Wow, that's sure a different kind of texture and coloring than you usually use, I really like it

Really nice colors and good mountains. I think some labels could have been improved for legibility, then I'm not surprised it's not your work .

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Really nice colors and good mountains. I think some labels could have been improved for legibility, then I'm not surprised it's not your work .
    Hi, book author and label-maker here . Which labels do you think should be more legible? How do you think I should fix them? I'm pretty much a n00b at maps, but I plan on making a bunch more maps off of the base that Sapiento did, so I'll take any feedback I can get.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jaspax View Post
    Hi, book author and label-maker here . Which labels do you think should be more legible? How do you think I should fix them? I'm pretty much a n00b at maps, but I plan on making a bunch more maps off of the base that Sapiento did, so I'll take any feedback I can get.
    Hi Jaxpax,

There is a whole lot more to labels than typing some names close to where they belong. It includes spacing, consistency of different types of names, colors, visibility against the background, fonts that both fit the theme and are legible, bending or angling text, and a host of other things. It's an integral part of making the map.

My humble advice would be to just hire Sapiento to do the labels as you need them done. My guess (of course you'll have to ask him) is that it wouldn't be all that expensive and I can promise you he'll do a better job that fits the map than you will be able to with just a few suggestions here, and probably a lot faster than you could, as well.

By Jaspax
    The rivers labels may follow the river better. The placement of the mountains labels could be over the mountains. The Bay label is lacking contrast with the sea color. But well, Chick isn't wrong, labels are a difficult thing (I'm still struggling with mines) and the better solution is probably to let a great professional like Sapiento solve it for you.