Thread: Imperial City

Default Imperial City

Ok so this is my first crack at a city map...WAY more work than I thought it was going to be but Im pleased with the results for now. I know its not a realistic city in that its too symmetrical, but it fits the purpose of what I need for my adventure. The key at the bottom is very sparse at the moment but will no doubt grow if this becomes a focal point for the game I will be using it in. For now its done though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imperial City.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	72806  
    Last edited by vtsimz02; 04-18-2015 at 09:21 PM.

It's not unrealistic if the settlement was planned right up from the time it was founded - or even if there was an earlier unplanned part that has been thoroughly demolished (or destroyed in eg. a fire) and was then cleared and built over. Although one has to wonder where the water in that lake is coming from? Obviously not from the river since that's clearly flowing out of the lake. Are there inlets that are too small to be marked on the map?

For #8 on your key, note that it should be spelled "Municipal District," and #9 should be "Colosseum."

Note also that the original Colosseum took that name from a massive bronze statue of Nero which stood nearby. The original term for what we call the "Colosseum" was the Amphitheatrum Flavium, or the Flavians' Amphitheater, after the family of the Emperor Vespasian who began its construction.

I know your map isn't of Rome, but the origins of names can be tricky sometimes. Gives you an opportunity to add a giant bronze statue if you like.

Im currently going for magic as far as the lake goes but it could just as easily be an underwater aquafer...which just shows how bad my spelling is as demonstrated by sanderling...thanks btw...it was a long stretch to finish and I clearly didnt spellcheck thanks for the history too since I have to change the name anyway

Updated up top...thanks for the spell check
    Last edited by vtsimz02; 04-18-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    one has to wonder where the water in that lake is coming from?
    Maybe it's the sewage outflow from the northwest quadrant of the city.

Although, if you go with that explanation you might want to change the hue of the water to something a little more brown.