Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: April / May 2015 Lite Challenge: Never Never Land

Hehe, I love your jolly roger!

Don't envy you trying to draw a tree palace. Maybe some illustrations of Tolkien's Lothlorien might give you some ideas?

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Hehe, I love your jolly roger!
    Thanks! It's probably the best picture I ever actually drew in my entire life (and even then I looked at a lot of pirate ship pictures for guidance)

Banned User

Somewhere around here is a thread about how much you learn when researching for maps. I thought I knew a lot about Peter Pan and in the past month, researching for this map (started by looking for the correct names of places on the map), I have discovered that there is a huge amount of non-canon stuff around, mostly invented by Disney.

I wanted to use the real Peter Pan story, not the Disney-invented-for-the-movie stuff, and in the end, I have finally just gone all the way back to Barrie and re-read the full true Peter Pan stories again after 50 years.

This map is all Barrie, with a couple of names for Barrie's locations taken from his officially sanctioned successor, and one and only one name that I have invented (Fairyhome) simply because no one else had named it (except the stupid Pixie Hollow from Disney, which isn't even Fairy Hollow -- I suppose Disney didn't know the difference between Pixies and Fairies).

The main thing I discovered and hadn't remembered from when I read this as a child, is that fairies don't actually have a specific region of Neverland as home. Barrie specifically states that they make their nests in the tops of tall trees.

I also discovered that what I always believed was Never Never Land, was named Neverland by Barrie, so I have changed the title of my map accordingly.

So as closely as I can map the "real" original Neverland ......

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NeverNeverLand F.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	73059

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This is fantastic! Hooray for learning tons of stuff by making maps. I have a couple of suggestions, you can see what you think. I may well just be "suggesting" things that you're already planning on doing anyway. Here's some grains of salt to start with…

I'd like to see a little more of the painted look you have for spots like Skull Island applied a bit to some of the other elements, like that fantastic Jolly Roger, as well as Wendy's House and the Neverbird Tree. Especially the tipis I think need a bit more love; a little shading to give them dimension, and some variation in the open or closed flaps might be good to see. Along that line I think it should probably be dark inside the tipis with the flaps tied open.

I got a big silly grin when I saw the sparkles in the trees. Fairies! Magic! This is a wonder-full map.

cheers,
    Meshon

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    This is fantastic! Hooray for learning tons of stuff by making maps. I have a couple of suggestions, you can see what you think. I may well just be "suggesting" things that you're already planning on doing anyway. Here's some grains of salt to start with…

I'd like to see a little more of the painted look you have for spots like Skull Island applied a bit to some of the other elements, like that fantastic Jolly Roger, as well as Wendy's House and the Neverbird Tree. Especially the tipis I think need a bit more love; a little shading to give them dimension, and some variation in the open or closed flaps might be good to see. Along that line I think it should probably be dark inside the tipis with the flaps tied open.

I got a big silly grin when I saw the sparkles in the trees. Fairies! Magic! This is a wonder-full map.

cheers,
    Meshon
    Thank you, Meshon, it's always nice to hear someone likes my map

Banned User

I decided to see what this looked like with some color on the land. I'm really undecided, so I'd be happy to have opinions!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	NeverNeverLand G.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	73071

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

I really like it.
    One thing I noticed: the Neverpeak mountain has a very thin outline, Skull Island and Marooner's Rock don't. Not really a great thing, but it's 'visible'.

Guild Novice

The latest map seems to be the best and greatest!
    Awesome Job, are you still adding to it though?

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    I really like it.
    Sapiento, from you, that is a wonderful compliment!

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    One thing I noticed: the Neverpeak mountain has a very thin outline, Skull Island and Marooner's Rock don't. Not really a great thing, but it's 'visible'.
    Part of the problem is that the islands have a natural outline because they are against the water, an entirely different color and texture. That wasn't true of Neverpeak, so I kept the outline. Now that I've added some green to the background land, I'm trying to put enough shading on the Peak to be able to eliminate the line, and be able to distinguish it from the land behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Aren View Post
    The latest map seems to be the best and greatest!
    Awesome Job, are you still adding to it though?
    Thank you, Aren! I've got all the main locations and names set. Now it's more a matter of the look, colors, textures, glitches, and details such as Sapiento pointed out, that I need to clean up.

Banned User

Redid the Neverpeak Mountain entirely, hope it's better this way. Plus a few minor touches added.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	NeverNeverLand J.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	73079

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast