Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tianxia: World Under Heaven (WIP)

Post Tianxia: World Under Heaven (WIP)

Last edited by arkham618; 05-11-2021 at 05:54 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

You can add your image as an attachment to your post .. which creates a thumbnail and will link to the bigger map. You can Edit> Go advanced> click on the paperclip icon and then add your image... cuts down on load times for those with slow connections and especially for larger images keeps everything in the screen for the viewers.

I like the map. What did you use to make this? PS or Gimp? ...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

You can use displacement filter to make some ridged mountains fairly easy. Using your alpha channel and the displacement map with another layer as an overlay puts down that 3-d look.... using the lighting effects after that puts in some shading to really make them 3dish...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm diggin it, very nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'm liking what I'm seeing here. Just a couple of my usual nit-pickinesses (is that a word even ).

Like I've commented on several of Ascensions maps, I find it very dark (maybe because the ocean is so dark?), and the fonts don't really seem to work for me, they seem kind of... cartoonish. But really these are more of a preference thing and not really meant to be any kind of negative "knock" on your style.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I agree with SG about the font issue. I don't necessarily think they are too cartoonish as much as I find them nearly illegible. The clarity of the asian characters is in stark contrast to the clarity of the western characters. I would suggest finding a new font for the westernizing. Also, I would switch the naming convention to make the asian characters the primary label and have the Western label as a parenthetical.
    Something witty and pithy

Guild Apprentice

I like it! I'm definitely going to try and use some "frost" on my current WIP, I think it looks pretty good here. I'd blur the water coastlines a little bit more. I find the hard ridges distracting a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by arkham618 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I chose the font (Sho) because it has an Oriental calligraphic quality without (I thought) being difficult to read. Those who didn't like it, can you suggest an alternative?
    Not to play the devils advocate but I like the font. Maybe rough it up a little but I'd vote to keep the font.
    The road to success is always under construction.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Link

Quote Originally Posted by arkham618 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I chose the font (Sho) because it has an Oriental calligraphic quality without (I thought) being difficult to read. Those who didn't like it, can you suggest an alternative?
    I don't have any specific fonts to recommend. If you haven't already, check out one of the free font sites (such as DAFONT) and see if you find another that appeals to you.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Chowfun and Chinese Takeaway are the only two other chinese looking fonts I use. Both maybe a little cartoony but I bet I got them from dafont.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	6782  
    The road to success is always under construction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast