Thread: World map WIP

Wip World map WIP

Hello, I've been haunting this place on and off for awhile and reading here and there.

I'm currently working on building a world with another person and have started a map. We wanted 4 continents so that the four races would have the ability to develop there own cultures and customs without being meshed and lost with the other races in their early development.

This is going to be a fantasy world, but we want some aspects of realism. The continent in the lower right looks like it was once a massive volcano which pry caused the mass extinction of the last ruling races and allowed the evolution of the current four races.

OF course I've never know exactly how to place mountains, swamps and other things. Any tips would be appreciated.

Here is what little I have so far:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harsh-Realities-Map-WIP.png 
Views:	153 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	6744  
    Last edited by Andraon; 09-30-2008 at 09:36 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSDDTLt75Bk

This video is a great way to do mountains. I suggest drawing a more detailed mountain than in the video though. Look at hte ystraad map for a good example. The Valcano Island looks great. The only area that makes me not buy into the realism is the placement of the landmasses. It looks a bit even or something. Other than that it looks like a great start to me.

Good luck with the world,
    Robb
    The road to success is always under construction.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is a good start, but for some reason I'm wanting to see the colors reversed - my eye keeps telling me its four weirdly shaped lakes in a big area of land.

Maybe once you have some more of the detail it'll help.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Alright, changed the color scheme a bit and worked on adding some mountains. Here is what I have so far:

EDIT: I've been doing a lot of reading. I've added deserts so far and will add other things such as swamps. rivers, forest, and such soon. I plan to attach an update tomorrow.

Edit #2: Alright here is where I am at. I know I don't have a key on the map yet, but tan is desert, yellow is grassland, dark green is rainforest, light green is temperate to evergreen forest, whitish is tundra, and orange is marshland. Please let me know your thoughts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harsh-Realities-Map-WIP2v2.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	274.3 KB 
ID:	6745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harsh-Realities-Map-WIPv5.1.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	6845  
    Last edited by Andraon; 10-04-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: update rather than double post