Thread: [WIP] Random Continent Map

Blog Entries

Wip [WIP] Random Continent Map

Hey folks! I'm not sure where I'm going with this one. I was working on it for a potential commission, but I didn't get the job, so now it is a map for fun!

I'm trying to build up a portfolio so I need to start doing a variety of maps and map styles, so here we go...

This one is done in the style of THIS map. The client was requesting a map in this style, so I started working on it. So far I was just testing out color schemes and samples of various geographic features, so that's why there is a little bit of this and that here and there.

Let me know what you think!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eberron_style_map_01.jpg 
Views:	886 
Size:	3.50 MB 
ID:	72901

More to come....

Banned User

Very nice. I especially like the trees in the bottom right .. is that a texture you're using, or some kind of brush settings?

It will be fun to watch where this goes!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Very nice. I especially like the trees in the bottom right .. is that a texture you're using, or some kind of brush settings?

It will be fun to watch where this goes!
    It is indeed a texture. I can't take full credit for many of the textures I use in this map. The original request for this map was to look like the map I linked to in post #1. I recognized the mountains and some of the icons from one of the campaign cartographer annuals that has a style based on style from 13th Age rpg. I turned some of the bitmap fills from that pack into Photoshop patterns and modified as needed. I'm also using a "grungy" brush with varying settings to do the blending.

I have owned this cc3 style since it was released (whenever that was) and I never really liked it "out of the box". I really don't care for the mountains. But I'm treating this as an "assignment" to emulate that Eberron map as closely as possible. It's slowly growing on me.

Thanks for the feedback and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate it.

Stay tuned...

I really like the continental-shape you have there. Well done! I am not yet convinced of the mountain-style. Especially your central-mountain chain looks a bit...haphazard ... and unconvincing to my eyes.
    But i am definitely going to follow your progress on this one...a promising start.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    I really like the continental-shape you have there. Well done! I am not yet convinced of the mountain-style. Especially your central-mountain chain looks a bit...haphazard ... and unconvincing to my eyes.
    But i am definitely going to follow your progress on this one...a promising start.
    I agree, the mountains currently suck. In my defense, I'm using textures and symbols from a campaign cartographer annual pack and I'm deliberately trying to emulate the look of another map (see post #1). The mountain style they use in this annual pack is very unappealing in my opinion, but I'm working some Photoshop magic and giving it a chance.

Fear not, the mountains will get more attention

Thanks for the feedback and taking the time to comment!

This is a really nice map !

The only thing that bothers me a little is the rivers, they look a little bit faded. The mountains and coast are all very visible however the rivers look blurred.

I really do like this map

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CartoCooper View Post
    This is a really nice map !

The only thing that bothers me a little is the rivers, they look a little bit faded. The mountains and coast are all very visible however the rivers look blurred.

I really do like this map
    The rivers here are too blurred/faded. It's on the to do list. Thanks for the feedback and taking the time to comment! I love seeing new names show up in my threads.