Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice map: Atrivien 2015

Default Practice map: Atrivien 2015

New week, new practices map. Attempted what I learned last week on a larger scale, and also tried to depict climate change. Not certain how it came out though. I think the grassland half works, but the colder parts were more of a struggle. In the end, I always end up preferring the BW version, so posting it as well

Again, feedback, critique and comments much appreciated. After all, these "quick" maps are all about the learning

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atrivien 2015 bw.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	72906 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atrivien 2015 c.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	72908

Very atmospheric! I quite like the overall feel of it. It has its very own flavour.
    The only thing that is not convincing to me, is the mountain-style. It does not suit itself well for mountain-ranges, imo.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

The trees in the "cold" part look a little weird. And, as Eilathen said, the mountain ranges could use a little more... connectivity

But overall and the style especially... sweet! The colouration works very well... for both the temperate and the cold parts. And the linework is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    The trees in the "cold" part look a little weird.
    They look like little stick-figure people to me

Pretty cool map taintotim. I quite like the colouring on the second one and the way you did the coastal waters.

Cool map! I don't have a problem with the mountains - I've always liked the old style maps with such mountains and hills. The northern trees do look a little weird in that they seem like people walking and I think they're fantastic and full of character! I really hope you'd consider changing Northamber to Northamble and call the forest the Ambling Woods. Lots of story potential, and/or myth potential. The rest of the map is great - both versions - although I personally would have kept the paper background as the lightest possible value in the colored map rather than whiting out the cold sections because you've lost the texture doing that and it's one of the better looking ones I've seen and very well implemented with the line-work and other elements.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Great work, I.d say you are on to something here.

Cheers,

Arsheesh

Banned User

So nice! I love the colors, and how you kept the water away from the edge of the paper. The pine trees droop too much, most evergreens have branches that stick straight out from the trunk, not drooping so much. Great coastline

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    The pine trees droop too much, most evergreens have branches that stick straight out from the trunk, not drooping so much.
    Well that's just plainly silly! Everyone knows that the branches… on those sorts of trees… (goes outside to look at actual evergreens)

Huh. Sometimes they even point up! You know, the ridiculous thing is, I've gone down to the valley near my house and drawn the trees there and scribbled out straight branches... but it's like I didn't actually see them. Thanks for pointing that out, chick!

Either way though, the sparse trees do look very wintery to me. I think the coloured version works here. My eyes tend to start at the upper left, and you've established the winter in that area well, so in the black and white version I just saw it as winter everywhere.

A really lovely map, as you do.

cheers,
    Meshon
    Last edited by Meshon; 04-23-2015 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Fixed the quote tag.

Great maps Tainotim! My only concern is about the light yellow color in the lost plains. I think it's a bit too luminous compared to the others... but that may be only in my eyes.

Whaow! So much feedback, awesome! Don't know where to start more than to say, big thanks everyone! Now, for some answers:

In a sense, I do see what people mean about the mountains. They could use some more "connectivity", something I will definitely keep in mind for future maps. However, I personally like their overall style.
    And concerning the pine trees, I have to say that "once you have seen it, you can't unsee it" – it really does look like people

Again, thanks for all the feedback! Learning so much from these maps. Now it's time to get on the next boat.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast