Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crown for Cold Silver Map

Default Crown for Cold Silver Map

So the map for the book has been made public. That's publishing talk.

You can see it here, and click on it to make it bigger. And later this week or next week, there will be an interview between me, the creative director and the author.

The book was originally inspired by heavy metal. And the authors original sketches of the world was very much an inverted pentagram. He wanted to move away from such a literal take on the world. However, I thought if I could keep a nod to that some how, it could make for an interesting map. For that, I arranged the names of the five bodies of waters to form a circle. So that there was a suggestion of a pentagram were the land would met the circle you could draw.

It's a little off centered, but it was designed to fit across two pages in the book, so I had to allow for the gutter, and make sure no text fell in that area. But the map didn't end up in the hardcover (It will the trade paper back). Bummer.

And here is also a low res version of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shhhh.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	72916

Cool, thanks Tim.
    I like your mountains. And the overall feel of the map is nice. I'm glad you didn't do a real pentagram shape...that'd have been kind of silly (it would have killed my suspension of disbelief for sure ^^ ).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Nice map! I like a lot your various scrolls for the different regions.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I was glad to see that Orbit stepped up and actually put the map in the trade paperback. Glad I waited for that to come out rather than buy a mapless hardcover.

...Although this may be the only time I've EVER seen a map get cover time (apart from A Dish Best Served Cold), so props to them for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I was glad to see that Orbit stepped up and actually put the map in the trade paperback. Glad I waited for that to come out rather than buy a mapless hardcover.

...Although this may be the only time I've EVER seen a map get cover time (apart from A Dish Best Served Cold), so props to them for that.
    Thanks! I knew they were going to put it in the trade paper back. Which always has higher sales over hardback.

Yeah, getting it on the cover got me some extra cash. That was the art directors doing. She was working with paper textures as part of her design, and thought, dam, why not put it on the cover. Kind of the second time actually. When I did a map for the Golden Arrow, the AD put part of it on the back cover.

So every time someone foreign publisher reuses the art work from the cover, I get a reuse fee. And when they use the map inside, I also get a reuse fee. $$$$$

Nice! $$$$$ is always good.

Looks great! I like how you kept the clean legible quality AND added a nice texture and character underneath. Awesome work.

I'm about a quarter of the way through the book right now, and it turns out this is one of those novels where you really NEED a map (at least I do), so cheers again, Tim!

It's a nice map and it looks great on the cover too.

Diamond: Did you mean the Abercrombie novel Best Served Cold? As I have that book and I think the parchment map cover is really nice on that too.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Yes, that was it. Added too many words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast