Thread: Can someone add climates to my world?

Default Can someone add climates to my world?

Subject
    I'm attempting a do some worldbuilding but have hit a roadbump when it comes to adding climates. I've got the geography down but simply don't know enough about climates to actually add them into my map. I was wondering if someone could please help me out and give me a rough sketch of this world's climates:

Blank w/ Rivers:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7AzXB65.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	72959

Physical:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TorrosPhysical.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	72960

For reference, the world above has the same tilt as Earth and is slightly smaller. As far as currents, rainfall and temperature go, such things are beyond me.

Style
    I'm looking for something similar to this map as far as coloring goes. I'm not expecting it to be anywhere near as detailed.
    http://i.imgur.com/8ovO5ea.png

Quality & Size
    Just a rough sketch of the world's climates overlaid ontop of the maps I provided would be perfect.

Time Constraints
    None

Copyright
    None, personal project born out of boredom

Contact
    You can reach me at t.scardino1228--@--gmail.com if need be.

Thank you, I'll take a look at that.

There is a lot of strange/exotic biomes on the map you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    There is a lot of strange/exotic biomes on the map you posted.
    Thank you for the reply. Could you elaborate?

Guild Artisan

Sent you a mail on the adress you gave. So if you want help, read it.

I sent a reply last night. Let me know if it doesn't reach you.

Here is what i think of these biomes

Lakeland is mostly a temperate/boreal forest with lakes
    Warm wetland is a savanna
    Riparian can be any type of forest near a water body
    Bamboo forest, I don't think it can be classified as a biome. Bamboo can grow in different biomes.
    Cloud forest is just a tropical or subtropical forest at high altitude. It can be a dry forest or a rainforest (always wet) but the clouds adjective doesn't add anything except if the forest is unique for some reasons.
    Snow cacti = desert or steppe or shrubland depending on humidity. I've found that the places identified as snow cacti on this map are in fact mostly broadleaf forests, unless there is magic involved.
    Lichen forest: I have no idea what this is. Temperate forest already have lichen. Unless maybe he meant a fundus forest like in Elder scrolls 3 : Morrowind.
    Mangrove would probably be fused with other biomes for the sake of simplification. Every humid area between the tropics that is wet and close to the sea in a low area is possibly a mangrove.
    Alpine tundra = tundra or montane climate.
    Semi arid desert = either is a grass savanna or a shrubland depending on the vegetation.
    Monsoon forest is a forest with a very rainy season. But we have no idea how dry the rest of the year is. Some places have monsoon but stay wet enough all year long (rainforests) other have a longer dry season (dry forests)

Lycopod forests was an ancient biome that disappeared several million years ago. These plants still exist but have been supplanted by others. This biome could still exist with certain specific conditions.

Now with the dry biomes: there is a transition from deserts to rainforests but I think there are too many categories.
    Dry steppe is either a temperate steppe in mid latitudes, or savanna/shrubland near the tropics.

With this, we are down to 14 or 15 biomes depending if you include the lycopods as a biome.

I see. At first I thought you were talking about the map of my world. The map I posted as a coloring guide is a collaborative worldbuild from a different forum, and therefore some of the biomes are rather fantastical/exotic.