Thread: A small part of Lorac

Wip A small part of Lorac

Hello to you, my fellows cartographers !

I decided to post here because having seen my work too much I am not able to judge it by myself anymore... This is in fact a small part of my world map, which is more or less 10 to 12 times bigger, but it is the first part of it that is almost finished (it still needs the locations of cities, some detail on the mountains, the names of the seas and countries... well, it's not finished at all...).

I worked this one with photoshop CS1, a mouse, a few ideas and a lot of time.

This peninsula is more or less egypt-like. The dot swarm are desert and the small triple blue lines are swamps.

What can you all tell me about it ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jehusriel-aegys.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	806.3 KB 
ID:	6736  

Decent start Korrigan.

I'm guessing the tan areas between the swamp delta and the desert is arid grasslands? Your mountains look good, but your forest seems to follow a pattern. I think you need a more random placement of your trees for it to look more natural. Other than that, I look forward to your symbols and labels.

Keep it up!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thanks GP !

Basically, the tanned area is the parchment behind which means plains or grasslands (in this case, arid grassland, depends on the area but I try to keep some climate logic).

I agree with you about the trees, I tried a "tree brush" I made myself but I am not happy with that. If anybody has some idea...

When the rest of the map is at least partially drawn I'll post it because the parchment texture looks a lot better on a large scale...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks pretty good. Just put a few trees sticking out of the "ring" of trees to break it up some and erase a few here and there inside the ring. While you may have been shooting for a parchment texture this is an awesome tapestry texture. I have an old Indian rug with these same colors and a very similar texture. I say, nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I also like the background texture, and agree with the others about the trees. Its almost like they follow some line art/design on the map.

Keep going!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like how it almost seems like a mental map by the foreground seemingly exaggerated from the barrier items like forests and mountains. I agree with the previous posters about the forest tree placement. I think you can randomized the forest simply by removing a few of the tree icons from the border of the forest making it much less noticeably, uh... linear boundary-ish.

This has some legs, lets see where it takes us.
    Something witty and pithy

Thank you all guys ! I'll be working on it tonight !