Thread: Continent of mountainous regions

Wip Continent of mountainous regions

I've finally done some real mapping again. This time another continent, scale is not decided upon yet. I started with a small doodle of something, thought its shape might become a nice island, sketched it more definitively. Scanned. Started messing around with it in Painter.

Then I realised I can't just throw some mountains on it. I was inspired by relief maps, like this one and this one of Britain*. So I decided I might well paint a bit of a relief map of my continent, which will help place mountains and forests and the like. I'm now at the stage that I have drawn an insane amount of mountains .

I'm not sure yet if I like the style I'm going for (like the bright colours I seem to end up using every time!). Perhaps I'll just keep it ink and parchment like textures with some subtle colouring. Any thoughts are very welcome, this part of mapmaking is really hard to me :S

* - I just found out Wiki Commons has an atlas section. With so many maps! <3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08-27 continent cleaner.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	6687   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08-27 continent cleanerc.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	6689   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08-27 continent cleanerd.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	6690   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08-27 continent cleanere.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	6691  

Alright... I've completely changed the colour scheme. It may be eye-hurting to some, and I think I agree after messing around with it for an hour . But the boldness of the colours is invigorating, and will very probably be the road I will take with this map (even if it may not be that aesthetically pleasing, especially in map making).
    Just have to find a good way to balance things, without losing too much of the boldness, the 'in-your-face'-ness. I might get rid of the mountains I've drawn, I can't get their shading to work with the colours
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08-27 continent RED a.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	6742