Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goblin Lair

Guild Apprentice

Here's what I'd like, and I don't know if it exists, but a way to put a random rotation on an object within gimp. It's really a pain to rotate things manually and hope for randomness, it would be nice if I could get some kind of filter or script that would put random spin on something. Any ideas on that?

It would be pretty easy to go back in and dirty up some of the stuff, I've gotten some good "dirt" overlays that I could just drag onto the sleeping mats.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xv43 View Post
    Here's what I'd like, and I don't know if it exists, but a way to put a random rotation on an object within gimp. It's really a pain to rotate things manually and hope for randomness, it would be nice if I could get some kind of filter or script that would put random spin on something. Any ideas on that?

It would be pretty easy to go back in and dirty up some of the stuff, I've gotten some good "dirt" overlays that I could just drag onto the sleeping mats.
    RobA is your Gimp Script Fu Master.

Here are my comments - again probably for the next map.

The background wall texture is too bright and distracting where all the beef is in the dark hidden away bits. Try a dark background wall and the map will pop out and look better.

The shadow on the bevel on the walls is lit but the shadow on the floor of the map is uniform in all directions. Because of this it looks like the walls are not connected to the floor and float above it.

The background texture is a bit too clean and also kinda too repeating. Try blending two or three different textures together next time or take the one and scale it to three different sizes that dont multiply together well - like 1, 1.27 and 1.74 or something like that. The blend will make the pattern not repeat any more. I use and send textures too www.cgtextures.com they have zillions of free ones to send you into a dizzy spell just deciding which one is better.

In general its a good map and I am going to bonk you with my +3 mace of repping. Look forward to your next one.

Guild Apprentice

Sweet, I hadn't seen that cqtextures site, thanks for the tip.

I'm gonna see if I can't figure out if a script to randomly rotate exists, or if I can't figure out how to make my own... failing that, maybe I'll PM RobA about it.

I need to look into blending textures, I'm not sure how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by xv43 View Post
    Sweet, I hadn't seen that cqtextures site, thanks for the tip.

I'm gonna see if I can't figure out if a script to randomly rotate exists, or if I can't figure out how to make my own... failing that, maybe I'll PM RobA about it.

I need to look into blending textures, I'm not sure how to do that.
    I guess the question would be, is each object on its own layer? That would be simple enough to script. If, however there are multiple objects all flattened onto the same layer it would be more difficult...

-Rob A>

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I guess the question would be, is each object on its own layer? That would be simple enough to script. If, however there are multiple objects all flattened onto the same layer it would be more difficult...

-Rob A>
    I usually rotate them as I'm putting them down, so they'd be on that temporary floating layer at the time.

OK - Try this:

Code:
    ; random_rotate.scm
    ; by Rob Antonishen
    ; http://ffaat.pointclark.net

; Version 1.0 (20080931)

; Description
    ;
    ; Script to randomly rotate the  floating layer
    ;

; License:
    ;
    ; This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
    ; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    ; the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
    ; (at your option) any later version.
    ;
    ; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    ; but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    ; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
    ; GNU General Public License for more details.
    ;
    ; The GNU Public License is available at
    ; http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

(define (script-fu-random-rotate img inLayer)
      (let* 
        (
    	  (varAngle (/ (* 2 *pi* (rand 360)) 360))   ;random angle to rotate
    	  (varLayer (car (gimp-image-get-floating-sel img)))         ;get floating selection ID
    	)

; it begins here 
    	(gimp-image-undo-group-start img)

(if (<> varLayer -1)  ;if here is a floating selection
    	  (begin
            (set! varLayer (car (gimp-drawable-transform-rotate varLayer varAngle TRUE 0 0 TRANSFORM-FORWARD INTERPOLATION-LANCZOS TRUE 3 TRANSFORM-RESIZE-ADJUST)))
            (gimp-floating-sel-anchor varLayer)  ;anchor
    		(gimp-displays-flush)
           )
    	)

;done
    	(gimp-image-undo-group-end img)
      )
    )

(script-fu-register "script-fu-random-rotate"
            		    "<Image>/Filters/Random Rotate"
                        "Randomly rotate then anchor the floating selection."
                        "Rob Antonishen"
                        "Rob Antonishen"
                        "Sept 2008"
                        ""
                        SF-IMAGE      "image"      0
                        SF-DRAWABLE   "drawable"   0	
    )
    Just bind it to a key press. When you have a floating selection, just kit the defined key and it will randomly rotate the floating selection and then anchor it.

-Rob A>

Guild Apprentice

I think I... I think I'm in love!

This is exactly what I wanted... I'd like to learn to write script-fu, but I'm not very good with painting programs in general, and figure I should learn how to do things by hand before I start trying to automate them.

Thank you so very much.

No problem, xv43!

Knocking out little helpers like this is only a few minutes work once you know a bit of Tiny Scheme, and how the script-fu has to be structured. Certainly not as simple as recording a macro, but still, not to bad.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

The light wall texture really jumps out. I'd drop it darker than the caverns and desaturate it. The eye tends to get drawn to the bright colourful areas of a map so I tend to try to make the focus the lightest and most colourful part.

Other than that general comment - that's a good first map. Definitely very usable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12