Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goblin Lair

Guild Apprentice

Wip Goblin Lair

Okay, this is one of my first maps... it's a goblin lair.

I'd love suggestions on ways to improve it, or just general comments about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goblin Lair.png 
Views:	777 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	6737  

Hi xv43,

I like the map

If you are looking for improvements, how do you plan to use the map? I guess you should consider adding a grid to it?
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Guild Apprentice

I plan on using it in maptool. I decided against having a built in grid because using the maptool provided one gives me more control over where the grid lies on the naturally shaped cavern.

Guild Journeyer

That is an attractive, solid map imo. Good work!

Some points you might want to consider:

1) Your torch holders are lost against the black floor, making the flames 'float' a bit disconcertingly.

2) The 'wall' texture is nice but could use some grunging up.

3) More and different mushrooms?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice, keep up the good work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Ya... MapTools lets you set up your own grid... Most VTT's do so I would advise against it, good choice with that.

Great looking map, the only improvement (probably for later maps since this one is in the complete stage) is that caves rarely have such smooth and curved walls, granted there are plenty of them out there, the feeling I get when I see it is something that should look a bit rougher and less circular. Other than that... great job, can't wait to see some more!

Guild Apprentice

I suppose I could rough up the caverns a little more, make them more angular, although since this is a lair, maybe the goblins smoothed out the walls somewhat to make it more habitable... maybe they didn't, though, they're goblins!

I'm not sure what color I could make the torch holders to make them stand out a little more... any suggestions on that?

Guild Journeyer

Oh the shape of the caves is great, I meant the texture.

I'd just put the torches close against the cave wall like in all the movies.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

oh ya... leave it the way it is for sure... I was just suggesting it for a next map... that one has come along to far to go in and mess up the walls just because I personally think they aren't rough enough ... no no no.... won't have it...

Really solid map.

No real criticisms.

If you want some stylistic tweaks:

I'd reduce the dominance of the earth texture after about 2 feet of wall. The strong crack pattern sort of detracts from the main focus.

I'm assuming the left section with the squares are sleeping mats of some sort? ? If they are not really ungoblin you might want to reduce their perfect straightness and\or give em some dirt.

On the right you have a couple of circles that look like barrels. You might want to gunge them up a bit and at least turn em a bit so that the grain is not identical on each one. Unless thats intentional for some reason.

Still either way I like the map.

Sigurd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast