Thread: New Member - baby steps

Default New Member - baby steps

Hello!
    I just joined the group.
    I am an Architect by day and a GM by night. I have never used any kind of mapping software but I'm at a point where my hand drawn maps are lacking in what I want to present my players. Right now I have just started up a brand new Traveller game and would love to learn how to create world maps.
    But I honestly don't have the foggiest on where to begin. What software to use, where to get it, if it's expensive or free, etc... I know Autocad and that's about it as far as software is concerned.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks.

Banned User

Hello Jaknaz, Welcome to the Guild!
    There is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!

Hi I'm Rigo III (well that's just one of the many Kings in a world I've created). I love maps, I've been drawing them for a long time, mostly just pen/pencil and paper. Little over a year ago I decided that it'd be fun to create a world, so I drew up a bit of a simple map (pencil on paper, it was loosely based on Pangaea), and some time after redrew it on Paint.NET. Recently I decided to try and make a sort of satellite map of it on the same program and I do think I got a pretty good result. I will be posting it shortly on the Finished Map forum. Also if anyone wants a tutorial I would be happy to post one!