Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ellonby [WIP]

It's looking really good!

Concerning the french words, here are some things that could be corrected :
    - there's a le/la/l' before each common name (often a l' when that name is beginning by e or a). So you should have "Rue de l'Astrologie" & "Rue de l'Université", Rue de l'Arcola
    - It's "Rue du Sourire", "Rue Verte" and "Rue du Prince" (if it's prince as the noble title).

I may have missed some...

Quote Originally Posted by Formal Abu View Post
    Like this?
    Exaxtly like that. Looks great!

I have corrected the names to the best of my ability! I'm not sure if I should add more names in now the streets are wider in a lot of places?

Also added in some effects and the like. Any input on that would be great. I have tried the older, more beaten look and an unedited clean cut version. Just playing around with the former at the moment.

Feedback on colours would also be very useful as (and I probably should have mentioned this earlier) I am slightly red green colour blind. Obviously this map uses red and green so...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ellonby with PP.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	73522

Name:	Ellonby with PP2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	73523

I like both. The only thing that causes any issue with the 'beaten' version is the darker area in the bottom right under some of the text.
    But that isn't major really. I really like how you done this amp.
    Something you could try would be to put a block of color layer, like the tan color of the ground, under just the text box and set it to maybe 20% opacity to make the text stand out more. I say try because it may not look right. I've done that with some maps and it worked and looked good. On a few others I tried it and it did not work as well.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

That's a nice looking map you have here F. Abu, nice work.
    I agree with J. that the dark low opacity background on the key isn't probably the best option to make the key text pop up and be really legible. A lighter color or a plain color might work better.
    I also spotted a minor mispelling : "Rue de le Minack Adelphi" should be either "Rue de Minack Adelphi" if M.Adelphi is a person or "Rue du Minack Adelphi" if it's a place, an object etc...

Thanks for the advice. Spelling corrected and the background to the legend changed. J.E and Max you were both right: the lighter colour worked much better than the grey I had been using.

So I ended up with three versions. I'll probably take a break until tomorrow then decide which I think fits the style best. Any other suggestion still more than welcome though!

I do think I might play with the location of the North Compass...

Views:	44 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	73530

Name:	Ellonby with PP2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	73531

Name:	Ellonby with PP3.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	73532

Guild Journeyer

Praise Legend / Title / Other Stuff

Very nice! This looks like an interesting city map, dense with a lot of exciting info.

I know I am jumping in with comments a little late in your process, so feel free to ignore!

For the scale, since you already have a graphic scale, I am not sure how useful it is to also have the scaling ratio (1:10,000). As an alternative, perhaps you can use the space to add information telling us more about why this particular set of data is being shown in this map, for example:

Ellonby
    And Surrounding Valley

The Hills Of
    Ellonby

Significant Historical and Commercial Landmarks of
    Ellonby

It would be nice if your legend also included the grid coordinate locations, so you can use it to find the landmarks on the map. For example "5. Town Guard Barracks...C5". I know your legend is already limited on space though.

I am not a big fan of the way you terminated some of your streets on the East side. The named streets feel too important to just dead-end. Rue Saint Euphin and La Fartouche could end in small plazas. Avenue de Contip et Revere could end at the roundabout, with the smaller streets picking up the slack. Rue de Minack Adelphi could simply continue through, as a visual suggestion to a connection with the path to The Rose Fields.

All of these comments are really nitpicks though, I think you have a solid city map already! Unfortunately I am not the best with colors, so good luck with your final choice!

Quote Originally Posted by RedKettle View Post
    For the scale, since you already have a graphic scale, I am not sure how useful it is to also have the scaling ratio (1:10,000).

It would be nice if your legend also included the grid coordinate locations, so you can use it to find the landmarks on the map. For example "5. Town Guard Barracks...C5". I know your legend is already limited on space though.

I am not a big fan of the way you terminated some of your streets on the East side. The named streets feel too important to just dead-end. Rue Saint Euphin and La Fartouche could end in small plazas. Avenue de Contip et Revere could end at the roundabout, with the smaller streets picking up the slack. Rue de Minack Adelphi could simply continue through, as a visual suggestion to a connection with the path to The Rose Fields.
    Taken your points on board - especially the matter of the road ends. Not sure I agree with you on the scale ratio thing but I'll think about it!

Here is an updated version bearing in mind your comments. Haven't had time to finish adding reference points yet - do you think they look cramped or okay?

Views:	52 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	73552

Guild Journeyer

Hmmm, I actually think it looks a little too cramped where you had to move the coordinates off the line of the text (on 2,3,5), but I can be a bit OCD about those things. It looks like you might run into trouble with 19,23 and 24, so I am not sure if it is worth it to continue.

I really like the order/disorder combination you have going, many smaller straight streets jumbled and then one grand swooping curve, three important bldgs on an axis and then one distinctly not, outlined bldgs vs non-outlined, neat border/frame and then map bleeding to the edge. It is a nice balance now, and I really don't want to upset that! I feel like those numbers almost start to look 'messy' instead of just 'disorderly', so to me it feels like a totally foreign element. Might just be me though.

The new street ends look great! As well as the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by RedKettle View Post
    ... I can be a bit OCD about those things...
    Me too! I had to change it. Think it all fits now! Thanks for the constructive comments all!

Views:	47 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	73603

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast