Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aphura, The Archipelago, and the Orange Kingdoms

Post Aphura - Based on Ice-Age Sea Levels between Asia and Australia

I did some research on Ice-Age sea levels around South-East Asia and northern Australia, including submerged river systems. I then combined present-day elevation models with bathymetric maps (plus a lot of guessing) to create rivers and terrain variation on the "land-bridges".

The scale is approximate; the graticule is fake, but the lines are roughly in the right spots.

The style is very modern; this is primarily for clarity.

It lacks a Compass rose and a Legend.

Time taken: 3 hours research, 10 hours in Photoshop (1.5 hours just for names).

Fantasy scenario:
    Set in a strange future or alternate past.
    I'm not sure how this region can be post-Ice Age, still above water, of tropical climate, and remain like so for thousands of years. But it has.
    The Orange Kingdoms are ruled by three orange species: Orangutan, Red Panda, and Tiger. There are other intelligent species, such as Belly Frogs and Dragons.
    Aphura is a new place, and humans journeyed across continents to reach it. Most continued moving through the landscape as hunters, but one group settled and formed Stargrave, First City. This is the setting for my latest novel idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aphura1.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	490.1 KB 
ID:	6626  
    Last edited by aeronox; 09-24-2008 at 01:58 PM.

I strongly recommend becoming familiar with real-life mountains and river systems, by paying minute attention to their forms; a great way to do this is by manually tracing them.

This exercise has increased my understanding of river systems.

It has also helped me develop a clean style of my own for future maps.

Great lking map Aeronox. As you say very clean looking. Immensely stylish and informative. Would be a very good addition to the front of a novel. Nice pallette too. Thanks for sharing.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

"1.5 hours just for names" - Gods man are you insane, my eyes would be bleeding!

Seriously though, this is well done. I'd bonk you again with my Cudgel of Repping, but haven't "spread the love" around enuff yet.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well, my Club of Repping +1 is free so I'll add a 1 point bump for ya This is really well done and the clean and concise take was very much hit spot on. Might want to add some more definitive mountains but otherwise, very nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Torq
    Great lking map Aeronox. As you say very clean looking. Immensely stylish and informative. Would be a very good addition to the front of a novel. Nice pallette too. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General
    "1.5 hours just for names" - Gods man are you insane, my eyes would be bleeding!
    It was fun thinking of place-names in more literal terms - it gives them a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension
    This is really well done and the clean and concise take was very much hit spot on. Might want to add some more definitive mountains but otherwise, very nice job.
    Thanks. I have a real (government-quality) elevation map for Australia, but only low-quality map for the Asian area. So rather than have a distinct difference in terrain quality, I just reduced the visibility. On my next map I'll try to come up with a method for painting realistic mountain patterns, relatively quickly.

When I saw the thumbnail I felt it somehow looked familiar. Sulawesi still has its familiar shape .

Interesting project, and great style. Keep it up

I have developed a method of painting elevation/bumps and generating relief shading...

Very fast, but requires attention to detail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orange-Kingdoms_ReliefShading.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	6730  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I like it .... how much attention to you to pay, cause I'm broke in that department

Post Beautiful!

Beautiful map, nice clean style - excellent work. Repped.

I like the many rivers you included. Many fantasy maps located in the tropics lack the many rivers that should be there from all the rainfall. Good job for recognizing this!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast