Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April / May 2015 Lite Challenge: Telum Lands

Default April / May 2015 Lite Challenge: Telum Lands

I think I needed to take a break form the annual mapping challenge map I'm working on, so what better way to do that than by doing whatever I want?

Someone had mentioned to me that most of my maps have subtle colors and that a lot of people who want to commission a fantasy map want vibrant color. I still love the maps I did with the softer palettes but I wanted to do a map with rich colors as well. The purpose of this map is to create a lively looking fantasy setting. I am going to incorporate some different fantasy elements I have come up with throughout the years so it will be fun to see if I can do my imagination justice.

The first element I drew in was a tree that grows in the middle of the desert, inspired by the frankincense tree. It's has sap/tears that supposedly can cure any sickness, but it is in the middle of a deadly desert that few survive the journey through.

Hope you everyone likes it! Any and all comments, suggestions, and criticisms are always welcomed!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Telum-lands1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	556.0 KB 
ID:	73062
    Last edited by Domino44; 04-29-2015 at 04:02 PM.

Hey Domino - that is looking beautiful to start with. You are pretty much spot on with the colors imo.
    This looks like it's going to be a beauty. I already like what you're doing with the water.

Oooh, yeah, very, very smooth! I love the tree int the right corner as well. Look forward to watching this one develop.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

After looking at this wonderful start, i'm curious what other pieces of your imagination will find their way into this world. I also like the sea a lot.

Very promising start and I definitely like the colors! Can't wait to see where this goes.

J. Edward, thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you think the colors work well! I also really like the way the water looks!

Arsheesh, thank you! It's always nice to get encouragement from you, and you always give it out so freely!

Abu Lafia, Hopefully my imagination won't let you down, thanks for your comment!

MstrWelf, Thanks so much!

So I added two more elements to this map. One is located on a river to the left side of the map, it's a huge house that was built on two large rock beams that extend from one side of the river to the other. This building houses a whole community of people. The other element is a city in the southern regions, it's built around a very large bronze statue of a hand holding a platter of an enchanted forever burning fire.

Thanks for being awesome everyone!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	telum-Lands2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	574.1 KB 
ID:	73078

Yup, the water looks great and the rivers are perfect.

Thanks Bogie!

I added a few more elements, a compass, and did some labeling. The first element I added is Jeser Inn which is off the east coast, two standing stones have a inn built into them. Another I added is Bein Temple which was built out of the bones of an ancient dragon. The last one is Segura which is located near the center of the land, it's a crater where a huge meteorite landed and out of that meteorite was built three towers that slowly started to levitate because the material has a lighter density and the gravity there isn't strong enough to keep the towers grounded. I'm not sure if I like the way it looks yet but I really like the idea, and any opinions about how to make it look better is alway welcomed (with many thanks)!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Telum-Lands3.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	742.6 KB 
ID:	73179

Just a quick update, I don't know how often I will be able to work/post on this map next week so I wanted to make sure I got at least this version in.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Telum-lands4.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	773.3 KB 
ID:	73214

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast