Thread: Attempting to Update a Map Style I Created, Would Love Some Feedback!

Wip Attempting to Update a Map Style I Created, Would Love Some Feedback!

Hey everyone,

Several months ago I tried my hand at creating my first fantasy map, here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nyfeOgx.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	407.4 KB 
ID:	73070

I've recently gotten back into it, and I've made an attempt at updating the original style, here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pSRWLF5.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	961.9 KB 
ID:	73069

My goal here is to create a style that's unique and personal but still appealing to people who aren't me. I really like the idea of a "biome" map where the changes in biomes are easily distinguishable. I'm especially curious about how people feel about the mountains, do you think they need more variation? In a similar vein, do you feel the map symbols are too basic? They were intended to be that way but I'm interested to see how people feel about them.

This particular map doesn't have any real icy or snowy areas but I have a separate map where I've been experimenting with that.

Any feedback you could provide about what you like, don't like, things that you liked more in the older version, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
    I realize not all the geography and biome placement makes the most sense, but for the updated map I tried to stick to the layout of the original for comparison's sake. I'll most likely change some of the biomes around when I feel that I've nailed down the style.

This is my first post, so I apologize if I overlooked some posting rules or etiquette.
    Thanks!

personally, I would reduce the size of the trees by 50%, I would also adjust the colors of the lighter ones. Make sure your tonal values are consistent. You can have various colors as long as the tones have continuity.

Yes, have more variation in your mountain size, shape would look better.

I like how you spherized it. It is not a style that I would use but looks good with the biome theme.

I like the mountains in the older version better, but keep playing around. I still haven't refined my method yet for mountains. They are a pain to make look good without being to heavy or to linear looking.

You need to start layering your colors. The water looks flat and linear.

The first one looks like you put a light blue color with a cloud filter. Use different brushes and different opacity of different shades of colors. Slowly build layers up.

I am not a fan of the light blue stroke around the land forms.

I like it and think that you have really come a long way from the first version.

Overall for a first map I say B+/A-. Good job.

Thanks for responding!

These are some good points to think about. I actually already decreased the tree size, I think it was the right choice. I've also been experimenting with mountains but I haven't hit on anything that I think is a clear step in the right direction just yet.

I kept the blue stroke because it was in the first map, but I'll take a look at that as well. I haven't actually messed with it much but it's worth tinkering with.

Thanks again for the feedback.

I like this style. Colors are very well picked and the trees are perfect as biome "icons". Mountains would look better if they were shorter, less pointy.

If you are aiming for a modern kind-of-children's book-illustration, this is awesome. I may try something similar in a map of mine some day (this goes to show I really digged it). If you are trying anything else, it's a big miss in my opinion.