Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riverbank Jetties

Post Riverbank Jetties

Hi all

My pcs are about to come across a camp/group of enemy sappers building jetties in a river to create a staging point/supply line. Below is the beginning of the battlemap I'm putting together. Its not yet finished but I would love to hear your comments or crits.

Torq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neckersriver.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	6743  
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Guild Journeyer

It looks nice, 2 comments from me, first is I am not sure on the texture you have used for sand, looks a bit odd to me.

2nd (which may be on the to do list) is the lack of tents etc

Blog Entries

Looks splendid. My only concern is that the map borders cramp it a bit. If they come in by water or along the beach then you might need enough map for a bow shot.

I am simply in awe of your water...
    Something witty and pithy

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmpig View Post
    I agree the water is magnificent! The rest of the map is very good too, you may want to consider verying the plants at the southern edge abit.

But that's really a minor thing and more of a preference than any kind of criticism.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkaen View Post
    It looks nice, 2 comments from me, first is I am not sure on the texture you have used for sand, looks a bit odd to me.

2nd (which may be on the to do list) is the lack of tents etc
    The sand is supposed to be mud. If thats not coming across I'll have to work on it a bit. I do plan to add more signs of life like tents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Looks splendid. My only concern is that the map borders cramp it a bit. If they come in by water or along the beach then you might need enough map for a bow shot.
    Thanks Red. My players will be coming from the trees, but I take the point. I was aware of the need for bow range when starting the map, but I think I messed up the scale by making the jetties too big and then everything followed that scale.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmpig View Post
    Thanks Pig. The water texture is layed over the stones with about 50% transparency. Between the two is a black to transparent gradient to create the illusion of increasing depth. The foam bits are foam coveres downloaded from the dunjinni site and edited and placed manually.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Agreed. Water is magnificent.

I caught that it was cracked earth/mud.

My nitpick would be the texture under the water. If it is a moving river, that ground would not be cracked, but instead it would be fairly smooth and depending on the speed of the water is likely to show lots of rocks and pebbles (depending on the terrain the river is cutting through). Also, the water needs to be deep enough around the piers to handle the watercraft, but not knowing what the craft will be that is hard to judge in this instance.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Journeyer

I have to admit I just saw a shore side and assumed sand rather than opening my mind to other possibilities

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Dayum! That looks so good I'd like to canoe there. The only thing that even comes close to being a nitpick is what SG said about the trees but since there aren't that many trees to use it looks fine to me. I especially like the fade on the pebbles on the river bottom and the muddy footprints, and of course the amazing water and muddy riverbank. Truly awe inspiring so that makes this awesome
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

OMG.

That is a phenomenal map. A work of art Torq... well done!! ... I have cast the spell of +2 Reputation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast